Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I can't play Wii games properly, using only one controller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the joystick I have here:
http://imgur.com/a/eB0dQ

I was planning on buying the PS4 DS4 controller to replace it, yet I am afraid I'll face the same problem I have here. I don't know how Wii works, and I tried configuring the emulator this way:

[Image: D97caFx.png]

[Image: fdiD7i6.png]

[Image: r4NO6yf.png]

[Image: Oi2Gv7u.png]

It didn't do any good. I can only assume a second device needs to be used, but which one?

Can you please elaborate how many buttons are actually used by Wii?
(02-19-2017, 05:20 AM)Perene Wrote: [ -> ]This is the joystick I have here:
http://imgur.com/a/eB0dQ

I was planning on buying the PS4 DS4 controller to replace it, yet I am afraid I'll face the same problem I have here. I don't know how Wii works, and I tried configuring the emulator this way:

[Image: D97caFx.png]

[Image: fdiD7i6.png]

[Image: r4NO6yf.png]

[Image: Oi2Gv7u.png]

It didn't do any good. I can only assume a second device needs to be used, but which one?

Can you please elaborate how many buttons are actually used by Wii?

The Wii uses really odd motion controls that can't really be well emulated by anything other than an actual Wiimote. The main issue is said motion controls don't really map well to conventional controllers.
You'd probably just do better getting a 2nd hand wiimote and a bluetooth dongle if you don't already have one.
It's not possible to give much advice about mappings for Wii games in general. You'll have to specify which games you're interested in.

(02-19-2017, 05:23 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]The Wii uses really odd motion controls that can't really be well emulated by anything other than an actual Wiimote. The main issue is said motion controls don't really map well to conventional controllers.

That's not true for all games.
(02-19-2017, 05:39 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It's not possible to give much advice about mappings for Wii games in general. You'll have to specify which games you're interested in.

That's not true for all games.

I know, but I imagine it'd still be easier to just use a real one than try and configure a conventional controller to do it.
(I really don't know too much about this I'll admit, I mostly play GC games on Dolphin. So if that's not how it works, I'll just stay out of this then)
(02-19-2017, 05:39 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It's not possible to give much advice about mappings for Wii games in general. You'll have to specify which games you're interested in.

This is the sort of problem I am having here:

[Image: iSAkOku.png]

Virtua Tennis 2011 for Wii is working with that setting. As you can see I removed keyboard/mouse for Emulated Wii Remote and used GamePad. Oddly in that D-PAD part the up/down/right/left from my D-pad are not matching with the indications, for example, when I pressed right it was actually moving the cursor up... in the end I was able to configure properly by testing the commands in the game.

Virtua Tennis 2009 (also for Wii) won't move one inch from this screen if you use that same configuration from above:

[Image: IUc4v0Q.png]

As you can see there's a mouse cursor in it. This can't be controlled by the joystick I posted. Or maybe it can, but the mouse cursor will be much fast.

I believe the keyboard/mouse config is moving, but to actually click on anything (and in this case select PLAY, WORLD TOUR, etc. I would need to disable the use of DInput/0/USB Gamepad in the EMULATED WII REMOTE CONFIGURATION. And even that won't do, because I will move the mouse cursor with one config and when I switch back to Gamepad the mouse cursor will already have moved to another area of the screen.

I was planning to use the Gamepad for the other functions and the keyboard/mouse for that sort of thing. Specifically for this game what am I doing wrong?

For someone that only wants to use a controller like the PS2/PS4 ones, what can be done?

Do we need two controllers to play Wii games?
(02-19-2017, 08:51 AM)Perene Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly in that D-PAD part the up/down/right/left from my D-pad are not matching with the indications, for example, when I pressed right it was actually moving the cursor up...

Enable Sideways Wii Remote.

(02-19-2017, 08:51 AM)Perene Wrote: [ -> ]As you can see there's a mouse cursor in it. This can't be controlled by the joystick I posted. Or maybe it can, but the mouse cursor will be much fast.

This cursor is controlled by the IR. If it moves too fast when you've mapped it to a joystick (rather than a mouse), you probably want to enable Relative Input.

Another option is to map the IR to the mouse while still using the gamepad for the other controls. You can do this by right-clicking on one of the inputs and then selecting the mouse device in the window that shows up.
It worked! Except that you forgot one crucial detail: we have to click "SELECT" once the Keyboard/Mouse device is selected in the input, after the right-clicking.

This is how it looks like
[Image: 8ovD2qJ.png]

To click in one of the options I can use the controller.

This is how the whole thing is configured:

[Image: 9iJd1Np.png]

[Image: znlCdzp.png]

Did I miss some button/setting?

Edit: Indeed I was missing something.

This is how the whole thing looks now:

[Image: a3YmaGy.png]

[Image: p6pIQGd.png]