Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New computer recommendation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all - new to this site and hoping for some advice on this computer that I am looking at picking up.

It is a Lenovo desktop with an i3-6100 chip, and 8 GB ram.

Is this a decent chip for running dolphin ?

I know i will probably have to replace the power supply and add a video card but the desktop itself is a very good price so was hoping it was a good start.

TIA !
If you don't want to / don't feel like building it yourself, the i3-6100 is fine for most games.

Just know if you want to have consistent performance above 1-2x internal resolution, you will need some sort of dedicated video card. Doesn't need to be particularly strong either. For 1-2x though, that Skylake GPU won't be too bad. Use Direct3D 11 or Vulkan as the graphics backend for Intel GPUs. I believe Intel has officially landed Vulkan support in their latest skylake drivers yesterday?
What kind of power supply it has ? if it's around 220-300W , that will be enough for low power consumption GPU like GTX 1050
unfortunately that opportunity fell through but i have found another possibility although not quite as strong.

How is an i5-3470 with hd graphics 2500 ?

I dont have a lot of money so this is a used desktop with 4 GB ram but i should be able to bump that up to 8 GB.

i doubt it has much for a power supply but i can look into replacing it with a graphics card if needed.
It won't run fullspeed with those graphics. The cpu will *probably* run fullspeed.
(02-21-2017, 06:03 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]It won't run fullspeed with those graphics. The cpu will *probably* run fullspeed.

thanks so what would be the minimum graphics card to add to this to make it worthwhile ? would a gtx 650 ti help at all ?
Nearly anything would help a HD 2500 XD http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvi...189vsm7696
Generally a 750ti+ is recommended for 1080p. So unless you have it already/getting a ridiculous deal you should probably get a 1050.