Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is using the dolphin iso compression tool safe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, 
I thinked about compressing my game isos with the built in dolphin feature "iso compress" is it safe to use for every game? or can it break stuff in game? does exist a compatibility list for it? 
For GameCube games: Yes, it's always safe.

For Wii games: I don't know of any game that it will break, but keep in mind that Dolphin will remove some data. Unlike with GameCube games, you won't be able to convert the compressed copy back to a file that's identical to the original.
(02-16-2017, 06:14 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]For GameCube games: Yes, it's always safe.

For Wii games: I don't know of any game that it will break, but keep in mind that Dolphin will remove some data. Unlike with GameCube games, you won't be able to convert the compressed copy back to a file that's identical to the original.

thx. do you know if the wbfs format for wii games is safe? 
The WBFS format itself is... Well, I don't like it, but I suppose it's about as safe as Dolphin's built-in compression for Wii games if the reader/writer handles it well. Be careful with which WBFS writer you decide to use! Some default to deleting all partitions other than the main one (which is a problem for e.g. SSBB and Mario Kart Wii) (and sometimes they don't even bother cleaning up the partition table...), and some quite simply have bugs. Still, it seems like WBFS usually works out fine for most people. Usually.