Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multiple Graphics Cards - Choosing the right One
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

EL1T3W0LF

So I bought a laptop a while ago, and finally got around to test Dolphin on it. Being the laptop noob I am, I didn't realize it came with 2 graphic cards, the first one and the default one: Intel HD Graphics 520. The other one is: Nvidia Geforce 940MX. I have the settings within Dolphin to use the Nvidia card, but I saw the other day that for a lot of stuff, my laptop runs the programs with the Intel card. Is there any way to check for sure which graphics card Dolphin is using? Sometimes I do get a bit of a slow down when playing Metroid Prime 2, but I'm not sure if it's because my laptop is forcing Dolphin to use the Intel card, or whether my laptop might be a tad bit too weak. Maybe it even has to do with the plugin settings I'm using. But for now, I am mostly interested on how to check what graphics card Dolphin is using.

I'm not sure how many question I'm allowed per post, but here goes another. While playing Metroid Prime 2, I've decided to use an Xbox 360 controller. I've set the full-press triggers from the gamecube controller to the 360 triggers, and the half-press triggers from the gamecube to the 360 bumpers. However, using the left trigger does not "lock" my aim, but using the left bumper locks my aim. Essentially, using the full-press does nothing, but using the half-press locks my aim. If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be that the half-press does nothing, but the full-press locks my aim. Is this an issue being experienced by anyone else? I know that all I need to do is switch the button layout on the configurations, but I don't want to have to change the setting everytime I load up a different game.
If you have the On-Screen Display Messages setting enabled, the GPU that Dolphin is using will be displayed at the start of a game.

By "half-press", do you mean that L-Analog goes to 50%?
The Metroid slowdown is shader compilation. It'll go away as you play.

EL1T3W0LF

Ok cool, thank you @ JosJuice , it was very briefly shown (almost lest than half a second), but it does say that my Nvidia card is being used.
As for @Helios, well I guess that shader compilation stuff is normal from what I gather when reading about the issues of the prime games.

Now back to @JosJuice, when I mean half-press I mean when you press down on the triggers on a gamecube controller, but not all the way to where you hear a click. For some odd reason after more testing with my 360 controller, I figured out that the full-press will lock on to enemies, but not lock my aim anywhere else, meanwhile the half-press will let me lock my aim in general, but not lock on to enemies. I've then just figured I would put both "L" and "L-Analog" mapped to the left trigger on my 360 controller just to make it easier on me. It works for now, but I was hoping to see whether or not anyone else was having this problem. Could be that my 360 controller is wack or something. Anyways thank you guys for your help!
(02-14-2017, 07:58 PM)EL1T3W0LF Wrote: [ -> ]I've then just figured I would put both "L" and "L-Analog" mapped to the left trigger on my 360 controller just to make it easier on me. It works for now, but I was hoping to see whether or not anyone else was having this problem.

That's normal. Mapping both L and L-Analog to the left trigger is what I do personally, because it makes the left trigger on the 360 controller act just like the left trigger on a GC controller. The odd behavior you were getting when doing a full press without a half press can be explained by it being impossible to do a full press without a half press on a real GC controller. If you would've modded a GC controller to give a full press signal without the half press signal, you would likely see that a real console would act the same way as Dolphin.

EL1T3W0LF

Makes sense @JosJuice, but when playing Super Mario Sunshine, I might have to remap the buttons again since it's important to be able to half-press the trigger without doing a full-press at the same time. Ty both for your help!