Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stuttering issues on high end computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

chronichemp

Hello, i keep trying to play gamecube games but get random stutters and my fps just drops to 10 sometimes randomly, but then it will run smooth as butter.

I have an i7-6700k
gtx 1070
16gb ddr4 3000hz

please help, i want to play nightfire!
What you are likely experiencing is called Shader Compilation. In layman's terms, it happens whenever the emulate encounters a new type of effect or object and has to compile new shaders for your graphics card to render it. Once you go through and encounter all the major effects, the game should become less stuttery. Some games handle this much worse than others. Example would be Metroid Prime. Even after a 6 hour playthrough, I was still encountering shader stutters.

There is currently only one solution, and it comes with a compromise. You must use the unofficial build called ishiiruka and make sure asynchronous shader compilation is enabled. This will prevent the rendering thread from halting and waiting for shader compilation to finish, removing all stutters and getting nice smooth gameplay. The compromise is that any effects which are not cached, will not render properly. It's not a huge deal most of the time, but it can cause serious render artifacts and glitches other times. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Personally I think it depends on the game because games like Metroid Prime are absolutely miserable on the regular version of Dolphin.
The developers are working on a proper solution to deal with the shader compilation. They don't want to rely on Ishiiruka's hacky implementation because it doesn't translate to a clean emulator.

chronichemp

thanks for the replys, ill learn to deal with it lol