Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Budget Computer Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ok, so I came up with these final two options for a new budget build:

CPU: Pentium G3258 (Overclocked to ~4.2Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
PSU: EVGA 430W
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33
RAM: DDR3 4/8GB

Or

CPU: Pentium G4620 (Seems to be identical to the i3-6100 and includes hyperthreading)
Motherboard: MSI B250M
RAM: DDR4 4/8GB

I'm still trying to keep this a budget build though so I wasn't isure f the extra money for the newer parts was worth it. Also, is there a GPU which is maybe a bit cheaper which can still handle 3xIR?
Can you even OC with an H mobo?
(02-08-2017, 09:12 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you even OC with an H mobo?

From what I read you can but I believe it needs a certain BIOS version and if using Windows 10 a certain update needs to be uninstalled.
(02-08-2017, 09:04 AM)AwesomeMarioFan Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so I came up with these final two options for a new budget build:

CPU: Pentium G3258 (Overclocked to ~4.2Ghz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33
RAM: DDR3 4/8GB

Or

CPU: Pentium G4620 (Seems to be identical to the i3-6100 and includes hyperthreading)
Motherboard: MSI B250M
RAM: DDR4 4/8GB

I'm still trying to keep this a budget build though so I wasn't isure f the extra money for the newer parts was worth it. Also, is there a GPU which is maybe a bit cheaper which can still handle 3xIR?

Hyperthreading is worthless. All it is is basically a queue for the CPU e.g. it won't make your PC run faster. The GTX 1050 is a good choice, I got mine for $100 and it's an overclock-able one from EVGA, I have no lag on any settings. I'd go for the 8GB of ram since you don't need anymore unless you plan on doing more intensive things than emulating e.g. designing and creating content, and the PC will need normally 2GB or more just for the OS.

And yes you can overclock on that motherboard.
Quote:Hyperthreading is worthless. All it is is basically a queue for the CPU e.g. it won't make ̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶ ̶P̶̶C̶ Dolphin run faster
There , fix it for you . HT brings 30->50% performance boost for a program that can support it , even PC games .
https://youtu.be/ezwv4Onr8HQ?t=124
G4560 3.5GHz outperforms G3258 @ 4.2GHz by a large margin
Quote:Also, is there a GPU which is maybe a bit cheaper which can still handle 3xIR?
G4620 is the highest model Pentium Kaby Lake . Unlike G4560 (Intel HD 610) , G4620 has the same iGPU (Intel HD 630) as the new i3 7350k . Therefore, it should be able to handle 3xIR but I don't know how it will perform on demanding games..
Maybe you should try it first and if it's not good enough , you can purchase GTX 1050 later
(02-08-2017, 02:16 PM)Techie Android Wrote: [ -> ]Hyperthreading is worthless. All it is is basically a queue for the CPU e.g. it won't make your PC run faster.

This isn't true.

Anyways, hyperthreading is fine in most workloads, including Dolphin. Both Windows and Linux are sane enough to put Dolphin's CPU and GPU emulation thread on physical cores, so it doesn't matter unless for some reason you're insane and force Dolphin to run on the logical threads. And even then, assuming your CPU isn't under load, it won't actually hurt anything.
(02-08-2017, 05:03 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't true.

Anyways, hyperthreading is fine in most workloads, including Dolphin. Both Windows and Linux are sane enough to put Dolphin's CPU and GPU emulation thread on physical cores, so it doesn't matter unless for some reason you're insane and force Dolphin to run on the logical threads. And even then, assuming your CPU isn't under load, it won't actually hurt anything.

Hyper-threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a hyper-threading processor to appear as the usual "physical" processor and an extra "logical" processor to the host operating system (HTT-unaware operating systems see two "physical" processors), allowing the operating system to schedule two threads or processes simultaneously and appropriately. When execution resources would not be used by the current task in a processor without hyper-threading, and especially when the processor is stalled, a hyper-threading equipped processor can use those execution resources to execute another scheduled task. (The processor may stall due to a cache miss, branch misprediction, or data dependency.) -Wikipedia

I know my stuff. I've had both before and even two exact CPUs on with it and one without it. In the end you won't notice a earth shattering difference. It acts like more resources to the computer which in turn lets you do more but wait for it to actually process that part of information. It definitely won't increase fps.

It is possible to optimize operating system behavior on multi-processor hyper-threading capable systems. For example, consider an SMP system with two physical processors that are both hyper-threaded (for a total of four logical processors). If the operating system's thread scheduler is unaware of hyper-threading, it will treat all four logical processors the same. If only two threads are eligible to run, it might choose to schedule those threads on the two logical processors that happen to belong to the same physical processor; that processor would become extremely busy while the other would idle, leading to poorer performance than is possible by scheduling the threads onto different physical processors. This problem can be avoided by improving the scheduler to treat logical processors differently from physical processors; in a sense, this is a limited form of the scheduler changes that are required for NUMA systems. -Wikipedia

According to a November 2009 analysis by Intel, performance impacts of hyper-threading result in increased overall latency in case the execution of threads does not result in significant overall throughput gains, which vary by the application. In other words, overall processing latency is significantly increased due to hyper-threading, with the negative effects becoming smaller as there are more simultaneous threads that can effectively use the additional hardware resource utilization provided by hyper-threading. A similar performance analysis is available for the effects of hyper-threading when used to handle tasks related to managing network traffic, such as for processing interrupt requests generated by network interface controllers (NICs). Another paper claims no performance improvements when hyper-threading is used for interrupt handling. -Wikipedia
(02-08-2017, 11:31 PM)Techie Android Wrote: [ -> ] If the operating system's thread scheduler is unaware of hyper-threading, it will treat all four logical processors the same. 

Let me know what modern OS isn't aware of hyper threading.
(02-09-2017, 02:24 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Let me know what modern OS isn't aware of hyper threading.

TempleOS
At least you can talk to God, though
Pages: 1 2 3 4