Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: MacOS NAND Dump - Black Wii System Menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hastyr

Hello,

I'm running:

Dolphin5.0-2170

With a NAND dump from my Wii

on the following hardware:

MacOS 10.11.6
Mac Mini Mid 2011
2.7 GHz i7 16GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

All Mii are imported properly, banners show up, saved games show up.

When I select "Tools -> Load Wii System Menu 513E"  I briefly see the empty card graphic, then the screen goes black and stays black (left running over night).

Install Procedure:
New Dolphin Download
Deleted Contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Dolphin save for SYSCONF
Changed permissions of Dolphin/ to: everyone read/write
Unziped clean copy of NAND dump to ~/nand
Changed Permissions of /nand to: everyone read/write
Renamed nand/shared2/sys/SYSCONF to  SYSCONF.old,
Copied previous Dolphin SYSCONF into /sys above

Launched Dolphin
Clicked Configuration - > Paths
Set ISO Paths
Set NAND Path
Close

Reload Dolphin Interface

Banners load fine.

When I select "Tools -> Load Wii System Menu 513E"  I briefly see the empty card graphic, then the screen goes black and stays black (left running over night).

The NAND Dump was done with BootMii and Extract was done with nandExtract on a windows 7 virtual machine.  Some errors were noted.  (Which supports the idea that this could be due to a problem with the NAND Dump)

Any suggestions?  All my googling indicates that NAND dumps infrequently have problems unless there is an issue with the dump itself.  I'm not 100% on how to prove or disprove a bad NAND dump.

Thanks,
Hastyr

Hastyr

Additional Investigation Update:
BootMii log shows several "Corrected Page xxxxxxx" entries.  Can anyone confirm these are "post Factory" bad blocks.

nandExtract reports 3 errors, of interest is the following:
Can't open file for writing
c:\Users\hastyr\Desktop\Wii Nand Work\nandExtract\nand\title\00010001\48415445\content\0000002e.app

There is a file in the directory with this name, and its size is 0 bytes - the file's permissions are set correctly. Interestingly Extractor runs for a moment, incrementing its "Block" count until stopping with this error.

I believe this particular error is of interest because ShowMiiNand 1.4 reports the Filename 00000002.tik is of type "System: Menu"

Just to see if anyone is out there, can someone confirm that their NAND backup has no error with this file (size is reported as 8697760B) by nandExtractor.

Thanks,
Hastyr