Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this pc good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey, i'm just wondering if this small budget pc will be good enough for 'most' dolphin games, such as super mario bros & the general mario serie. I don't care about running high demanding games such as xenoblade, but most multiplayer games.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 710

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8C 4.0 GHz Black Edition 8MB

RAM: (2x) Corsair 4GB CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

thanks guys :]

edit: sorry for small worded thread, ask me if i missed anything.
no.

That AMD CPU will be okay for a handful of games but you'll need to clock it to around 4.4 ghz to get it servicable for more games. Getting "most" games at full speed on AMD requires absurd clock speeds. AMD has horrible single threaded perf.

That GPU is also weaker than Intel iGPUs. You probably would lag even on 1x internal resolution, even if your CPU wasn't choking on the single threaded perf.
hey, thanks a lot. I've been looking around for cheap gpu/cpu (in the price range of 250$ combined), you mind giving me a point the the right direction?
Not possible. The lowest you can do is $400.

But, on the flip side, $400 will play every game perfectly at 1080p.

It's a bit awkward because going lower than $400 and you get into GPUs and CPUs that are flat out too weak.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gcLhGf
i3 6100 @ 3.7GHz ($100) + MSI H110 mobo ($50) + EVGA GTX 1050 SC ($120)
You can remove the GPU if 720p is good enough for you , Intel HD 530 (i3 6100) is twice as fast as GT 710
mm, I forgot that skylake iGPUs are decent.

If you're fine with 720p

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8hXTtJ

$330
haha, i was talking more about 250$ for only gpu & cpu Smile

i already have my eyes on dvd player, hard drive, pc case & memory.

So i guess what i need is m-ATX motherboard, cpu & gpu

ALSO, i prefer if its intel for it to be 1150 socket.

edit: I'm totally fine with 720p.
Oh. then, easy.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JjVhGf

That pentium is a bit special as it has an unlocked multiplier. And I know for a fact that board is one of the few that can modify that pentium's multiplier without being a Z-series chipset.

Just clock it to like, 4.0-4.4 ghz. It'll never bottleneck on Dolphin's JIT.

And that GPU is current gen, so have fun playing at 1080p, probably 1440p.
hey, thanks! I found the CPU & GPU in the store i'm buying my parts from. The motherboard wasn't there but i found another one which will do. Although these had an increase of cost on the website i'm paying on.

Is there a possibility to kick it down a notch with the GPU?
Don't know if its worth saying but i'm planning on connecting it to a 40" (?) TV screen with HDMI to play on.
Look for a 750 TI. That will give you 1080p for Dolphin easily. Maybe a 6xx series GPU if you can find one thats cheaper.

AMD GPUs are also okay to look at, but if you want good performance, you're stuck with Direct3D 11 or Vulkan. The OpenGL backend is the most mature+accurate, and is blazing fast on nvidia, while slow as hell on AMD.

Alternatively, you can ditch the dedicated GPU and try to run games on the HD 4600 the pentium has, but you may lag on heavier games at 2x IR. Which, according to your post, isn't an issue.
Pages: 1 2