Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin always stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm having a problem with Dolphin as of late. It doesn't matter what game I play, either. The game will be running fine, but then it just stutters like crazy for 1-2 seconds. In certain games, this means messing up timing a button press. I've already got my Windows at high performance, and Nvidia settings set to maximum performance with Dolphin.

One thing I've noticed as well, if I have something playing in my second monitor at the same time, it will stutter as well. For example, if I have a youtube video playing in Monitor 2, and Dolphin in 1, when dolphin stutters, the video will as well.
Shader compilation stutter.

Since Dolphin is not a game engine, Dolphin does not know what shaders a game is going to need to emulate an effect correctly. This can only be done on the fly while keeping things consistent and stable. Once you generate shaders for a particular effect for that game, it will stay cached on disk until you update Dolphin. (Work is in progress to make updating a non issue) Once generated, the stutter when that effect is called won't happen anymore.

Anyways, I find 1-2 SECONDS weird. Shader compilation shouldn't take that long. Maybe you have a very misconfigured setting and you have v-sync on which exacerbates the issue?
I find it odd as well. I'm not sure what setting would be causing it though. Is there a way to Just completely reset all settings?
Post screenshots of your graphics settings
[Image: q4Q2JxT.png][Image: MNwwg6R.png][Image: SIGzJ97.png] [Image: 7C5X8EL.png]
Did you try lowering some of those settings? Esp IR? & fullsreen resolution. I'd also change anti-aliasing to SSAA
I've lowered the IR now to 3x Instead of 5x, and the stutters are still there, although much shorter in duration. About .5-1 second instead. SSAA is also now selected.
With a GTX 1080, the IR is fine, but yeah MSAA can do dumb stuff. SSAA is more intensive, but more consistent.

This won't speed you up, but set aspect ratio (Unless you're using wide screen hacks) and fullscreen resolution to auto.

Anyways, sounds like shader compilation. Just keep playing the game and you'll see they eventually go away.
I have some minor sluttering too in all games. Most likely because the shader cache. I've tried to disable V-sync on Xenoblade and that reduced the sluttering a lot but i didn't see any difference on other games. Disabling the power management of the HD helped too.
(01-31-2017, 08:56 PM)matheusstaffa Wrote: [ -> ]I have some minor sluttering too in all games. Most likely because the shader cache.

Most likely because of shader compilation, not the shader cache. In fact, the shader cache reduces stuttering caused by shader compilation.