Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Crashes After Game Startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently running Ubuntu Linux 16.10 64-bit, using the standard Unity desktop. I have an Intel Core i5-6500 CPU and an AMD RX480 GPU. I am using the latest version of the AMDGPU-PRO Beta Graphics Driver for Linux. I have 16GB of DDR4 Crucial RAM and I am running Dolphin 5.0-2010 with the OpenGL backend (currently I'm downloading and installing the latest version, which at the time of posting is 5.0-2145). When I try to run any games they crash Dolphin. So far I have tested Super Mario Sunshine. Not only this, but my computer also freezes up. It becomes unresponsive and this does not change no matter how long I leave it for. I can move my mouse cursor but I cannot interact with windows or Dolphin or anything. I have two monitors and my mouse does not move onto my other monitor, it just stops at the edge of the screen (probably because the manager for this has frozen/crashed I would assume). The only way to fix my computer is to do a hard restart or to use the restart button on my case. I store my games on an external drive (still "inside" the computer though, connected to the motherboard) but moving them onto my main SSD where Dolphin is located makes no difference. The result is still the same. In Super Mario Sunshine, I get to the point where the intro cutscene ends. After this, it freezes. I cannot get to the main "Press Start" screen. In Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, I get about 3-4 seconds into the intro scene with Shadow in Radical Highway before this issue occurs.

I have recently upgraded from a 2012 MacBook, which I tried to run Dolphin on. It didn't work very well, but games would run and I never experienced this issue. On my MacBook I ran Ubuntu 16.10 as well, identical to the version I am currently running. It was upgraded to 16GB of DDR3 Crucial RAM and it had a 2.5Ghz Mobile i5 (Ivybridge) and HD4000 graphics. Games didn't run well on that machine, but they ran and didn't crash.

It's not a fault with the games, I ran the exact same versions on my old machine. I'm guessing it has something to do with my graphics card and Linux causing Dolphin to freak out. I can't even get a screenshot of this, and any recording I'd make would have to be taken on my phone or something which wouldn't be ideal. I had the same issue using the stock Ubuntu driver for my card, before I upgraded to the AMDGPU-PRO driver. I think Ubuntu uses the open-source Radeon driver by default, but I am not 100% sure on this. I have not tested the issue on Windows as of yet, but I will edit the post when I have time to test this.

Is there a log file I can check for this? That is, assuming it writes anything of interest before the system crash. Can anyone help me out with this? Anything I should try?

Thanks in advance!
Bump. I've tried reinstalling Dolphin and I don't want to run Dolphin on Windows, I'd much rather do as little as possible on that OS. Linux is my main operating system and I'm hoping someone else has encountered this issue and fixed it. Thanks.
Likely a GPU driver issue. I don't think there is much you (or we) can do in this case.

However, if it completely hangs your system, there will likely be something interesting in dmesg. SSH in and try to see if there is anything obvious there?

By the way, which video backend are you using? Have you tried using the OpenGL/Vulkan backend?
Try using Mesa instead.

Add this PPA
https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias...untu/pkppa

and remove anything you might have installed via AMDGPU-PRO