Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Dolphin dropping DX12 in favor of Vulkan?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I just installed the development version of Dolphin and I've noticed that DX12 (experimental) is missing and Vulcan is there instead.
It's still there for me.
While I'm on the subject I'd like to know from the devs what they think of DX12 and Vulkan
Still there for me too. Anyway dx12 is coded in a way that is hard to maintain. It's going to be removed if a change is made to dolphin that would have to be modified with it. Vulkan does mostly everything it does and more.
(01-24-2017, 07:56 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]Still there for me too. Anyway dx12 is coded in a way that is hard to maintain. It's going to be removed if a change is made to dolphin that would have to be modified with it. Vulkan does mostly everything it does and more.

Last time I checked Vulkan it could not dump textures in Majora's Mask (Collector's Disc) for example. D3D12 always dumped textures without issues, as well as OpenGL and D3D11. Well... Most of the time, but it is often quickly resolved.

I also wonder, is Vulkan to be proven to be faster for Intel CPU's and NVidia GPU's than D3D12?
Reminder this is the... DURP! I just realized that I'm using Windows 7. Sorry I forgot.
Unless a maintainer shows up for D3D12, it will likely be dropped. When... that all depends on when it becomes too annoying to maintain.
I hope not, Vulkan doesn't run too good on my GTX680 2GB
In DOOM I get excellent performance with OpenGL but not so much with Vulkan
Then keep using OpenGL. You have an nvidia card. OpenGL is about as fast as you need on nvidia.

The actual use case for people to use these new APIs is if they have a weak CPU and GPU but can still somehow use D3D12 or Vulkan. These users aren't very common, except for like, Haswell iGPU Linux users.

Everybody wants to rice rocket their Dolphin installs but seem to forget that all you need is 100% speed. I'd be very surprised if Vulkan/D3D12 became the difference between running at 1x IR or 3x IR. If that actually happens then you're probably hitting slow downs in a lot of games that a graphics backend can't solve for you.

But yeah. D3D12 is on the way out. Nobody seems to care about it and as far as I know it's officially no longer feature parity with the Vulkan backend. Of course, somebody could show up gung-ho about maintaining it (and hopefully rewriting the mess), just like somebody popped up to write one in the first place, but *shrug*
Using Vulkan should also be fine. There are (almost) no known issues, so reporting them will help a lot to get them fixed. For our D3D12 backend however, plenty of issues are known. There is no need to drop it as keeping the code is no overhead. But nobody wants to deal with it :/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8