Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: About Original Wii and GC discs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My questions are: Is there anyway to Dolphin run a original GC or Wii dics?
If not, Can i make a dump of it and how i do it?
Thanks Smile
You cannot directly run games from the disc, you will need to dump them first by using a modded wii with something like cleanrip. If you really wanted to you could then burn the dump to a disc and run it from that.
(01-20-2017, 11:46 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]You cannot directly run games from the disc, you will need to dump them first by using a modded wii with something like cleanrip. If you really wanted to you could then burn the dump to a disc and run it from that.

Thanks man!
"Gotta to go fast"!
(01-20-2017, 11:46 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]If you really wanted to you could then burn the dump to a disc and run it from that.

I would not recommend this. Based on what I've heard, the performance won't be any good. It technically works, but you really should use regular files (like ISO or GCZ) instead.
That's why I said really wanted, I defiantly would not recommend it.
From my experience, if you burn the ISO/GCZ files inside the disc (e.g. a folder on the disc) it'll work better than burning the ISO directly to the disc. One of the issues when booting from a DVD backup is that AFAIK the current code in Dolphin assumes that disc seeks takes exactly 10ms (or another arbitrarily value) and well, a real DVD drive seek time varies greatly, and so Dolphin will stutter like crazy when reading data from the disc. Another issue is that Dolphin doesn't prevent the DVD drive from stopping spinning, so when that occurs and the game request more data, prepare for a 3-5 seconds of freeze until the disc spin up again...