Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Savestates Incompatible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

odedro987

Hello!

So I've recently wanted to play some wii games again after a quite long time, so I've downloaded the latest 5.0 build.
But when I tried to load a savestate from when I used 4.0-9120 it gives me an error that the savestate is too old..
Is there a way to fix that? or is 5.0-xxxx incompatible with older versions?
4.0-9120 and 5.0 are definitely compatible! That is a safety mechanism. Every time a change is made to Dolphin that would break savestates, the savestate version is increased. By keeping track of this, Dolphin can prevent you from loading a probably broken savestate.

So we generally recommend users not rely on savestates as their primary means of saving, and instead use in-game saves for anything they really want to keep.
(01-20-2017, 06:11 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]4.0-9120 and 5.0 are definitely compatible!

4.0-9120 and 5.0 are definitely not compatible when it comes to savestates.

You'll have to load the savestate in an older version if you want to use it. Once you've done that, you should make an in-game save so that you'll be able to carry over your progress to newer versions of Dolphin.
Well, in everything but savestates they are. Tongue That's what I meant.

odedro987

(01-20-2017, 06:11 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]4.0-9120 and 5.0 are definitely compatible! That is a safety mechanism. Every time a change is made to Dolphin that would break savestates, the savestate version is increased. By keeping track of this, Dolphin can prevent you from loading a probably broken savestate.

So we generally recommend users not rely on savestates as their primary means of saving, and instead use in-game saves for anything they really want to keep.

In this case, what should I do? Can I force-load them?
Or do I have to redownload 4.0-9120 and save the games internally?

EDIT: didn't see the last 2 messages, okay thanks, I'll try that!