Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help rebuilding gamecube iso
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to do the Metroid Prime Widescreen HUD and am following the instructions exactly, but after I rebuild the ISO and try to run it in Dolphin I get an error for an invalid ISO.

I've tried other methods, including using gc rebuilder which doesn't work because it is looking for a folder called "&&systemdata" which is entirely absent in the Metroid ISO I have.

So, what should I do?
That folder gets created when you extract the ISO with GCRebuilder. Don't use Dolphin to extract the ISO if you want to rebuild it with GCRebuilder.
(01-19-2017, 11:51 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]That folder gets created when you extract the ISO with GCRebuilder. Don't use Dolphin to extract the ISO if you want to rebuild it with GCRebuilder.

Yep, that's what I did with GC iso tool. GC Rebuilder ends up making an iso that doesn't work also.

Unpack ISO in GC Iso tool, open folder in Windows Explorer, follow HUD mod readme instructions which ends in the two .pak files being modified, delete all 6 superfluous files from the HUD mod, open the files in GC Iso tool, save as ISO full. Full iso ends up giving error, but trimmed works but I want to use the full iso for safety. The full should be working anyway.

I really can't figure out what I'm missing.
Have you tried Wiimms' WIT? It's probably the most powerful set of tools to work with GC and Wii ISOs nowadays, but it's CLI only and that drives may users away...
(01-19-2017, 02:38 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried Wiimms' WIT? It's probably the most powerful set of tools to work with GC and Wii ISOs nowadays, but it's CLI only and that drives may users away...

I can try it out. All I need is extract and rebuild ISO functions, which are covered in other programs but none of them work for me. The ISO I have is perfectly functional so I couldn't know the source of the problem. At least trimmed rebuild via GC ISO Tool works.
(01-19-2017, 12:25 PM)TrantaLocked Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, that's what I did with GC iso tool.
Don't do that, either. Use GCRebuilder for extraction and recompilation, and you should get the correct folders. If that doesn't work, you might want to e-mail the author about your particular game, because it might be a bug in GCR. Can you extract the game and then rebuild it without making any changes? If that works, then there's something wrong with the mod you're using.

(01-19-2017, 02:38 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried Wiimms' WIT?
You can only build Wii ISOs with WIT, not GC ones. If there's some way to build GC ISOs, I can't find it in any of the WIT documentation.
(01-19-2017, 06:19 PM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]Don't do that, either. Use GCRebuilder for extraction and recompilation, and you should get the correct folders. If that doesn't work, you might want to e-mail the author about your particular game, because it might be a bug in GCR. Can you extract the game and then rebuild it without making any changes? If that works, then there's something wrong with the mod you're using.

You can only build Wii ISOs with WIT, not GC ones. If there's some way to build GC ISOs, I can't find it in any of the WIT documentation.

Rebuilding even without the mod ends up in broken ISOs. GCRebuilder (or any tool that uses the &&systemdata folder when unpacking) gives me ISOs that black screen and crash Dolphin, GC Iso Tool gives ISO that results in the Dolphin invalid ISO error. Anyone else try unpacking/rebuilding a Metroid Prime ISO?

Remember that I can get a working trimmed ISO out of GC ISO Tool. Just weird that that's the only way I can get it to work. This thread is more about solving a problem for the sake of it rather than needing a solution. But who knows, maybe someone out there is having a similar and possibly more urgent problem and would appreciate our time here figuring this out.
I would suggest sending an e-mail to BSV to see if he's aware that GCR can't rebuild Metroid Prime correctly.