Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: P-7915u Fx or G51j-A1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking to get a laptop for school and I narrowed it down to these two. the 7915 has a p8700 and the G51 has an i7 720. Both have GTX 260m. I wouldn't get enough use out of the i7 to warrant the extra $400 normally but how much would it change performance with Dolphin?
Laptop + that power is kinda a waste of money. Why would you want such a powerful laptop and have to spend who knows how much money on it. You could easily build a solid mid range desktop and have a solid laptop and save money. Buying laptops with this kinda power will make you sick after a year. You will realize that you should have built a desktop and had a nice long lasting laptop and saved money.
(10-26-2009, 12:21 PM)jedikevin20 Wrote: [ -> ]Laptop + that power is kinda a waste of money. Why would you want such a powerful laptop and have to spend who knows how much money on it. You could easily build a solid mid range desktop and have a solid laptop and save money. Buying laptops with this kinda power will make you sick after a year. You will realize that you should have built a desktop and had a nice long lasting laptop and saved money.

I realize that, but I need a laptop for school and I have my reasons for getting one of these. One reason is that I don't see the advantage of having Dolphin on my desktop when I have a perfectly fine Wii upstairs. With this laptop I can almost have a portable Wii. I'm not getting some absurdly priced Alienware, I'm looking at a $1050 gateway or a $1450 Asus. So, to repeat the initial question, is the i7 going to make a big enough difference to warrant $400? (I know playing Dolphin better isn't worth $400 extra; the Asus has other advantages too. But that's for another forum. I just want to know from your experience how much difference an i7 would make.)
NO
NO
NO
That i7 can be beaten by any OC'd e84xx or even e7xxx because you dont want to OC a laptop, do you?
However, if I were to buy a laptop I'd go with i7 over P8700 since it goes up to 2.8 Ghz and it's a quad core and of course it's newer technology.
I know that of course the i7 would be faster, but how much is my question? The Asus normally isn't worth the extra $$$ but if it plays dolphin at like full speed that may influence my purchase. And again, I'm buying a laptop to play games and such on the go. I realize I can build a much faster desktop but I have no reason to right now because mine serves my needs fine, while a laptop is totally different.
You can't overclock a laptop obviously. So the question is:

Do you want to throw $400 dollars down the drain to satisfy your "Needs"?

No one will make that decision for you... But ye go for the i7 if you are rich like I'm assuming.

The fps disparity between cpu's wouldn't be more than 20 or so.
Not rich so much as having some pretty good college scholarships. You really think it could be 20 fps difference? That's quite a bit. The thing is the Asus has awful battery life unless you get a $175 9-cell battery and even then its only like 2.5 hours. The Gateway has 3.5+ hours. Does anyone have any experience with a mobile i7 on Dolphin? But thanks Diddy, that's what I'm looking for.
Keep in mind that not all games run full speed yet in dolphin. So if there is a certain game you plan on running, say it now or forever hold your peace. Tongue
(10-27-2009, 03:33 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that not all games run full speed yet in dolphin. So if there is a certain game you plan on running, say it now or forever hold your peace. Tongue

Well, I have quite a few Gamecube games, Metroid Prime 1+2, Wind Waker, Kirby Air Ride Bond: Nightfire and Agent under Fire, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic 2 Battle, Mario Party 6(?), SSBM, Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball 2, Double Dash, and a few others. Main Wii games are Corruption, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, the Conduit, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Twilight Princess.
Once again, thanks Diddy!

Edit: Just noticed NoSound97's youtube channel. I would be content if I could get performance similar to his. My CPU is just slightly worse than his on Passmark CPU lookup http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.p...40+2.53GHz but my GPU is significantly better. I know CPU is more important but do you think it would be close?
(10-27-2009, 05:05 AM)JesusFreak Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-27-2009, 03:33 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that not all games run full speed yet in dolphin. So if there is a certain game you plan on running, say it now or forever hold your peace. Tongue

Well, I have quite a few Gamecube games, Metroid Prime 1+2, Wind Waker, Kirby Air Ride Bond: Nightfire and Agent under Fire, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic 2 Battle, Mario Party 6(?), SSBM, Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball 2, Double Dash, and a few others. Main Wii games are Corruption, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, the Conduit, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Twilight Princess.
Once again, thanks Diddy!

Edit: Just noticed NoSound97's youtube channel. I would be content if I could get performance similar to his. My CPU is just slightly worse than his on Passmark CPU lookup http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.p...40+2.53GHz but my GPU is significantly better. I know CPU is more important but do you think it would be close?

Here we go, the disparity is like comparing nousound's vids to that of rene maruico's.
Have you seen his vids? Take a look. He has his i7 overclocked to 4.0Ghz, but Ghz doesn't matter too much in dolphin. So, results would be slightly similar, but not better.
FYI: Dolphin only has dual core support. Two of your fully functional cores will remain unused.
http://www.youtube.com/group/dolphinemu
Pages: 1 2