Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Make Audio not sync with FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

guitarpunkmasta

hi i was playing mario galaxy and sometimes it drops like 4 frames and the audio tries to sync with the fps is there a way to turn that off u know it stutters
(01-14-2017, 07:50 AM)guitarpunkmasta Wrote: [ -> ]hi i was playing mario galaxy and sometimes it drops like 4 frames and the audio tries to sync with the fps is there a way to turn that off u know it stutters

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: No, that's how the games work, they were designed to always run at a certain speed and slowing them down from that slows down everything in the game down, including audio.
Some older dolphin versions could run asynchronous audio, but it was very buggy and sounded horrible a lot of the time, so it was removed.
(01-14-2017, 07:58 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]Some older dolphin versions could run asynchronous audio, but it was very buggy and sounded horrible a lot of the time, so it was removed.
...and before you ask, it will not come back.
(01-14-2017, 07:58 AM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]Long Answer: No, that's how the games work, they were designed to always run at a certain speed and slowing them down from that slows down everything in the game down, including audio.

So how can this be fixed? We know that Galaxy doesn't really stutter. So how can it not stutter on Dolphin?

I have the same problem with Wind Waker. Tried it on 2 different machines with different OS and drivers. It always stutters at a fixed amount of time in order to sync with something. I'm not sure what it tries to do tbh.

I tried to remove speed limiter and lock the frame rate with RTSS. But now instead of stutters, the game runs at fast forward during those moments.

We know that Gamecube games run at 60hz. It's not like games on some arcade monitors that had weird speeds like 57,9 hz or something. So why some games can't sync in Dolphin, on standard 60hz screens? I tried it on a CRT monitor (60hz) but it still stutters.

Some other games don't have this issue. It seems it's game specific, at least for me.
This sounds like a separate issue that you should make your own thread about... I don't really know what the issue could be, but have you tried playing with Vsync? It's also possible you're talking about stuttering due to shader compilation, which is unfortunately unavoidable at the moment, but only needs to happen once for each shader.
(01-16-2017, 06:41 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like a separate issue that you should make your own thread about... I don't really know what the issue could be, but have you tried playing with Vsync? It's also possible you're talking about stuttering due to shader compilation, which is unfortunately unavoidable at the moment, but only needs to happen once for each shader.

Yes, i tried everything. Vsync via drivers, vsync via the emulator. Nothing works. There is a stutter every fixed amount of time.

I did a topic of this already but didn't get an answer and i still don't know if i'm the only one with this problem

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-st...10-seconds

Happens with two different PCs. With different OS. Different drivers and different versions of Dolphin. Including Ishuruka and two different versions of that. All backends tested as well.

It's not shader compilation. I tested the same area for more than 1 hour. Didn't move to new areas. Besides, it also happens with the Ishuruka build, with async shaders.
Tasoulios: VSYNC is very unlikely. This may only stutter for up to 16ms. But our default audio buffer has 40ms of data, so one stalled frame will not stutter the audio.

Maybe disk access when the game reloads some data?
(01-16-2017, 09:39 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Tasoulios: VSYNC is very unlikely. This may only stutter for up to 16ms. But our default audio buffer has 40ms of data, so one stalled frame will not stutter the audio.

Maybe disk access when the game reloads some data?

The audio doesn't stutter. It's only the video.

Let me explain in detail what happens because i don't think it's clear.

I start the game and don't move at all. I just go to first person and then rotate the camera around.

The camera is smooth. The frame rate counter is steady 30fps. But after about 10 or 15 seconds the camera stutters for around 2 seconds. Then it's smooth again until the same happens in the next 15 seconds. And repeat. i can do this for 2 hours, it will never change. During the stutter periods the frame rate counter still shows 30fps.

It doesn't matter what settings i'm using or what computer i'm using. The game stutters every fixed amount of time. And i'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone. It's a problem with Wind Waker and Dolphin. Do the same, play a bit and rotate the camera around and the stutter will happen.

Edit: Please if you have any answers lets move it to my other thread because it seems i hijacked this one.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-st...10-seconds
Oh, indeed. This sounds like vsync. We don't synchronize the emulation speed with the host scanout frequency.

Are you able to alter the refresh rate of your monitor? Having two unsychronized rates with an integer ratio is usually a bad idea.
(01-16-2017, 10:03 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, indeed. This sounds like vsync. We don't synchronize the emulation speed with the host scanout frequency.

Are you able to alter the refresh rate of your monitor? Having two unsychronized rates with an integer ratio is usually a bad idea.

Alter it how? Set something other than 60hz you mean?

The LCD TV and monitor won't go above 60hz. My CRT monitor goes beyond that though. I tested it at 85hz and it seems that the stutters are gone...

BUT now the game is not moving smoothly in general.... since i'm using a different amount of hz than what the game uses the frame rate is a bit erratic. It's not terrible and less annoying than having noticeable stutters every 15 seconds. But is this ideal?

Isn't the real game 60hz? If so shouldn't it be smooth at 60hz with no stutters? I'm trying to see where the problem is. Most people should play this at 60hz monitors and experience stutters, no?

Ideal or not, playing it at 85hz gives me a better experience than before. I guess that's good enough. Thank you for the response.
Pages: 1 2