Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stutters/frame pacing issues every 10 seconds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm playing some Gamecube games (F-Zero GX or Wind Waker) and i noticed that every fixed amount of seconds (around 10) Dolphin loses sync with the screen and stutters. The games run at full speed and always report steady 30 or 60 fps even during the stutter period (which lasts for about a second).

I'm using a recent version i downloaded a few days ago but this happens with all versions i ever used even months ago. It also happens in both Direct 3D and Open GL.

My specs are

i5 4670
16 GB RAM
GTX 960
Windows 7 64bit
So, nobody else has this problem?

I tested Vulkan and the problem is still there.

Any ideas for why it de-syncs with the refresh rate every given amount of seconds? I tried everything, even playing at native resolution.

Edit: Seems it doesn't happen with all games. Mario Kart is perfect, for instance. But both Zelda games suffer from this.

Edit 2: I tried the same thing on Windows 10 this time. This setup also has a bit older drivers. Same thing happens. There is no way to play Wind Waker without stutters every fixed amount of time.
Do you have V-Sync enabled? Which version are you using?
Yes, V-Sync is enabled. I also tried to disabled it in Dolphin and enabled it in the drivers. Same issue.

I'm using the latest developer version. But this issue persists through many months ago and many versions. Including Ishuruka or however it's called.

It happens on Wind Waker. The game reports steady 30fps, never drops. But every 10 or 15 seconds there's stuttering that lasts for a couple of seconds. And repeat.

The other Zelda game also suffers from this but it's more inconsistent. Mario Kart is 100% smooth all the time.
Which Dolphin version are you experiencing this on?
Version 5.0.1748.

And every single version i ever tried before that since Dolphin version 4 something. I don't remember this particular game not having these rhythmic microstutters. Is it smooth for you all the way?

I'm updating about every few weeks. I have 2 or 3 versions on any given time on my computer. Happens in all versions. With many different driver versions, in all backends. In both Win 7 and 10. With two different CPUs and graphics cards.