Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Planning on my first PC Build ever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Skryptonyte

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Windforce OC Video Card
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 500GB

My main concern is how well an i5-6500 should perform on the following games with 4x resolution, OpenGL Backend, 1x anisotropic filtering and no antialiasing:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
BIT.TRIP Complete
Mario Kart Wii
New Super Mario Bros
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Seem fine to me . My GTX 860M (a lower clock GTX 750ti) can handle 4xIR + FXAA just fine , a GTX 1060 is probably good enough for 6xIR + FXAA or even 8xIR in some games . Make sure you stay away from SSAA , it's the slowest antialiasing
But why on earth would you pair a non-k CPU with a Z170 mobo , the one is made for overclocking ? Are you planning to flash the bios and do a BCLK overclock or something ?
If Dolphin is more important to you than a PC game , I suggest you should change the GPU to GTX 1050ti and the CPU to i5 6600k . Overclocking on an unlocked multiplier CPU is much safer than BCLK overclocking

Skryptonyte

I was thinking of the i5-6600k but I wanted to see whether i5-6500 at stock speed would suffice and I could save some money, I am just trying to keep it as cheap as possible and at the same time have decent performance.

And I do need the video card because PC and emulated games are equally important.
Then why not just choose H110 mobo instead of Z170 if you don't plan to overclock . MSI H110 Pro is only $44 , you can use the spare cash to buy another 8GB stick (RAM)

GavinDude

I have the exact same thing but a 6gb 1060 gpu. I can usually play most games with 1440p resolution, 16x anisotropic filtering, and 4x SSAA, yes 4x SSAA, which means I am basically running it at 5760p. I highly doubt you will ever have any performance issues.  

Skryptonyte

(12-30-2016, 01:01 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Then why not just choose H110 mobo instead of Z170 if you don't plan to overclock . MSI H110 Pro is only $44 , you can use the spare cash to buy another 8GB stick (RAM)

Weird that I did not notice that.

Now that I changed it, my build cost is now 660$ according to pcpartpicker.
What Non-Dolphin games do you plan on playing on this, or is it just for Dolphin, and what resolution do you plan on using? If you're just using this for Dolphin, you could get a cheaper i3 instead of that i5.