Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU + Better GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

LastAvenger

Let's say I have a decent CPU and I can run most 30fps games at 25fps, and 60fps games at 55fps using my intergrated GPU. Will a better GPU help in achieving 30 and 60fps?
...What's your CPU?

LastAvenger

(12-28-2016, 03:31 AM)Probwontusethisaccountagain Wrote: [ -> ]...What's your CPU?

That's not important. I just want to know how much of a speed boost is a better gpu, can I get 5,10,15,30 more fps?

Has anyone ever tested a good cpu + integrated gpu and then the same cpu with better gpu?
(12-29-2016, 10:49 PM)LastAvenger Wrote: [ -> ]That's not important. I just want to know how much of a speed boost is a better gpu, can I get 5,10,15,30 more fps?

Has anyone ever tested a good cpu + integrated gpu and then the same cpu with better gpu?

LastAvenger Wrote:Let's say I have a decent CPU and I can run most 30fps games at 25fps, and 60fps games at 55fps using my intergrated GPU. Will a better GPU help in achieving 30 and 60fps?

Soooo... Ok... Let me get this right. You have a "decent" (define decent) CPU which is not able to run games (soooo many games! Which are the ones we are discussing here?) at fullspeed. You want to know if a better CPU would help? How would we be able to suggest a better CPU if we don't know which CPU you have in the first place. If you are not willing to share information on your CPU... Well good luck, you are on your own here.

Different games have different requirements. While Super Mario Galaxy is super demanding, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is totally not that demanding. Demanding games demand more of your CPU. But since so also won't share information which games you try to run. Would your CPU really be decent if you are not even able to run New Super Mario Bros. Wii at 60 FPS? Besides, intergrated hardware does not define as decent in my book. My i5-4430 CPU would be decent, not the best but certainly decent enough to run my games at fullspeed at 1080p. It can even handle some additional quality enchancement effects. Dolphin is demanding stuff, so don't expect it to run well on the lower end hardware. Such is the will of emulation.

Besides, you should check the global forum rules. Not only are your games and specs missing, but the version of Dolphin you used too and the settings within Dolphin. Perhaps the issue is not with your CPU at all, but with the version and settings of Dolphin you used. Yet we can not know, since you don't provide the information in order to help you.

Dolphin Wrote:When creating new threads about Dolphin, always provide your full PC specs (CPU, RAM, GPU, Operating System), information about the Dolphin build used (version/revision, source, etc), Dolphin settings and detailed description of what you're trying to do (e.g including the name of the game you tried to run and a screenshot/video of the issue if necessary). Ignoring this rule will get your thread closed and have you warned off. If you don't have your PC specifications in your profile yet, please take the time to do that.

Long story short: Start sharing information on your games and hardware specs, then we will be able to help you.
Surely , you're not trolling , are you? There are tons of IGPU . If you don't tell us exactly what iGPU you have , how can we even tell how fast a GPU upgrade will be ?
For Example , the old Intel HD (1st gen) is too weak for even 480p , a GPU upgrade like GTX 1050 can blow your mind away. The Intel HD 530 is fast enough for 720p (or 1080p in some light-weight games) , a real GPU upgrade won't speed up anything aside from being able to play game at high resolution like 1080p
Then again , if your CPU is too weak for Dolphin , a GPU upgrade won't be enough to cover that . The CPU requirement is a Haswell Core i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz or the equivalent Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz , Pile driver FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz
(12-29-2016, 10:49 PM)LastAvenger Wrote: [ -> ]That's not important.

I don't recommend to go assuming you know what components of a system is most important for software you're not familiar with. 
(12-30-2016, 01:11 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I don't recommend to go assuming you know what components of a system is most important for software you're not familiar with. 
I think he's saying that the specifics of the CPU are unimportant, not the entire CPU itself. 

However, too many variables can change in Dolphin for this hypothetical situation to have a clear answer. Some games are more GPU-demanding than others, some CPUs have better iGPUs than others, and sometimes an iGPU can outdo a dedicated GPU, if you get a bad enough one.
If you don't want to share any informations, feel free to try the null video backend. It won't render anything, but you are able to check your CPU performance quite well. Please keep in mind that many games stall the GPU, so you'll need an infinite fast GPU to get the same performance...
The simplest answer I would give is NO. With the native/default settings whatever you are going to throw at Dolphin: If you don't get 60 or 30fps in the game, a better videocard will do zilch... sadly enough this is true for like 99% of the games (I have about 150 Wii/GC/VC/WiiWare games in Dolphin).

Also if you're ever going to try another emulator (CEMU for WiiU, PPSSPP for PSP or PCSX2 for PS2) you will need a shitload of CPU-power, the more the better, also keep in mind to NEVER buy an AMD with more cores (or any AMD until we see realworld tests of the upcoming Ryzen CPUs') since an older Intel with less cores is WAAAAAAY faster.

DolphinX

(12-28-2016, 02:54 AM)LastAvenger Wrote: [ -> ]Let's say I have a decent CPU and I can run most 30fps games at 25fps, and 60fps games at 55fps using my intergrated GPU. Will a better GPU help in achieving 30 and 60fps?

I just did some tests using my inte(-r)grated GPU Big Grin

AMD Athlon ™ II X3 435 Processor 2.90 GHz
Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 / Motherboard: PI-AM3RS760G

[color=#ff3333]ATI Radeon 3000 IGC [/color]
Dolphin 5.0

Conflict Desert Storm 1:                        DirectX11 - 15fps, 720p - 10fps, OpenGL - 14fps
Conflict Desert Storm 2:                        DirectX11 - 22fps, 720p - 17fps, OpenGL - 22fps
Crash Nitro Cart (4 players):                DirectX11 - 15fps,  720p - 8fps, OpenGL - 13fps
Crash Tag Team Racing (4 players):    DirectX11 - 22fps,  720p - 17fps, OpenGL - 24fps
GoldenEye Rogue Agent:                      DirectX11 - 18fps,  720p - 10fps, OpenGL - 18fps
James Bond 007...in Agent Under Fire:  DirectX11 - 45fps,  720p - 35fps, OpenGL - 47fps
James Bond 007 NightFire:                    DirectX11 - 28fps,  720p - 20fps, OpenGL - 30fps
Mario Kart Wii (4 players):                   DirectX11 - 22fps,  720p - 15fps, OpenGL - 22fps
Mario Kart: Double Dash (4 players):   DirectX11 - 52fps,  720p - 45fps, OpenGL - 50fps
Super Mario Galaxy:                              DirectX11 - 38fps,  720p - 20fps, OpenGL - 40fps
Super Smash Bros Melee (4 players):  DirectX11 - 43fps,  720p - 35fps, OpenGL - 43fps
The Hobbit:                                          DirectX11 - 20fps, 720p - 14fps, OpenGL - 22fps
XIII (4 players):                                  DirectX11 - 24fps, 720p - 18fps, OpenGL - 25fps

[color=#333333]AMD Athlon ™ II X3 435 Processor 2.90 GHz
Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 / Motherboard: PI-AM3RS760G
[/color]
[color=#ff3333]AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB[/color]
Dolphin 5.0

Conflict Desert Storm 1:                        DirectX11 - 30fps, 720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
Conflict Desert Storm 2:                        DirectX11 - 30fps, 720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
Crash Nitro Cart (4 players):                DirectX11 - 30fps,  720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
Crash Tag Team Racing (4 players):    DirectX11 - 30fps,  720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
GoldenEye Rogue Agent:                      DirectX11 - 30fps,  720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
James Bond 007...in Agent Under Fire:  DirectX11 - 55fps,  720p - 55fps, OpenGL - 55fps
James Bond 007 NightFire:                    DirectX11 - 50fps,  720p - 50fps, OpenGL - 50fps
Mario Kart Wii (4 players):                   DirectX11 - 30fps,  720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 25fps
Mario Kart: Double Dash (4 players):   DirectX11 - 60fps,  720p - 60fps, OpenGL - 60fps
Super Mario Galaxy:                              DirectX11 - 55fps,  720p - 55fps, OpenGL - 55fps
Super Smash Bros Melee (4 players):  DirectX11 - 55fps,  720p - 55fps, OpenGL - 55fps
The Hobbit:                                          DirectX11 - 30fps, 720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps
XIII (4 players):                                  DirectX11 - 30fps, 720p - 30fps, OpenGL - 30fps

I do know I can OC this CPU and I did, once @ 3.7 GHz and it's black edition so I can unlock the fourth core AMD Phenom™ II X4 B35 (not damaged btw.), I just don't care... Big Grin

I skipped DX12 test since 3000 is not DX12 gpu but as you can all guess it works WAAAAAAY faster.

I hope you got your answer. Smile