Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Am I getting the performance I should be?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jebisamess

I'm running Dolphin 5.0 x64 on Windows 10. My system specs are the i7 6800k, watercooled overclocked to 4.2GHZ, GTX 1080 on air with a mild overclock, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz and I'm running Dolphin and all of my games of an SSD. Basically I don't think I'm getting the performance I should be. I have V sync on and I'm forcing 16:9, for enhancements I have 4x native resolution (2560x2112) 8x SSAA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Forced EFB Copy, Per Pixel Lighting, Force Texture Filtering, and Disable Fog. I'm averaging 30-40 FPS sometimes hitting 46, sometimes dropping to around 25 usually close to 30. Is this the performance I should be expecting from a system of mine's caliber? I've seen some people say their 970 runs Dolphin just fine, and seen others claim even integrated graphics work well. I've seen people claim they can run titles at 4k with 60FPS, and my 1080 is struggling with 2.5k at 30. Any help would be appreciated. My monitor is 3440x1440 and I have Dolphin's fullscreen resolution set to that if that helps.
(12-26-2016, 06:09 PM)Jebisamess Wrote: [ -> ]8x SSAA

If anything is murdering your performance, it's probably this. SSAA in Dolphin seems to be extremely demanding, especially 8x at higher internal resolutions. You could try lowering it, or go with MSAA as it is far less demanding.
8xSSAA + 4x IR is something like 32x IR; that would choke just about any graphics card.

Jebisamess

(12-26-2016, 10:10 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]8xSSAA + 4x IR is something like 32x IR; that would choke just about any graphics card.

What settings would you recommend?
Like Bighead said, try using MSAA instead of SSAA. And if that doesn't work, see if turning off AA altogether does anything. Anisotropic filtering is basically free, so there shouldn't be any issues there. Same with per-pixel lighting. Also, the fact that you're using an SSD and the fact that you have lots of fast RAM mean basically nothing for Dolphin.
Or FXAA which has the lowest impact in performance . You can add FXAA via "Post-Processing" . FXAA should be available for all graphic backend except Vulkan
IMO , 6xIR + FXAA should look nice in 4k and most graphic cards can handle that , even a GTX 970. You can crank it up to 8xIR + FXAA if you want to however 4xIR + 8xSSAA is way too much for your GPU
(12-26-2016, 06:09 PM)Jebisamess Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Dolphin 5.0 x64 on Windows 10. My system specs are the i7 6800k, watercooled overclocked to 4.2GHZ, GTX 1080 on air with a mild overclock, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz and I'm running Dolphin and all of my games of an SSD. Basically I don't think I'm getting the performance I should be. I have V sync on and I'm forcing 16:9, for enhancements I have 4x native resolution (2560x2112) 8x SSAA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Forced EFB Copy, Per Pixel Lighting, Force Texture Filtering, and Disable Fog. I'm averaging 30-40 FPS sometimes hitting 46, sometimes dropping to around 25 usually close to 30. Is this the performance I should be expecting from a system of mine's caliber? I've seen some people say their 970 runs Dolphin just fine, and seen others claim even integrated graphics work well. I've seen people claim they can run titles at 4k with 60FPS, and my 1080 is struggling with 2.5k at 30. Any help would be appreciated. My monitor is 3440x1440 and I have Dolphin's fullscreen resolution set to that if that helps.

Holy crap your running the game at an equivalent of 20,480 x 16,896 basically 16k resolution.

SSAA stands for Super Sample Anti-Aliasing what it does is render the game at x times (in your case 8) the internal resolution and then scales it down for the screen. Turn that off or replace with MSAA.
On a 1060 at 3x (1080p) I generally use 2x SSAA or 4x MSAA for Wii. Some of GC I can get 4x and 8x.
(12-26-2016, 10:10 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]8xSSAA + 4x IR is something like 32x IR; that would choke just about any graphics card.

Nope. 8x SSAA + 4x IR != (8*4)x IR. It is (sqrt(8)*4)x IR. But still too much Wink