Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan API?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently tried a new dev build that includes the Vulkan API & I'm gobsmacked at how much better the vast majority of my Wii/GC games perform/look (some that wouldn't even launch before!) on my aging rig whilst using it.. simply astonishing!
There's a few random crashes/graphical anomalies in game from time to time but from the experience I've had so far I'd say the prognosis is promising, I can also significantly crank up the resolution, AA, visual effects etc without any significant performance deficit that I've noticed with all the games I've tried so far.. very exciting times ahead I'd say & an eternal thanks to those involved in the implementation.
It's a magic bullet for certain performance hog situations. Metroid Prime map screen, Hyrule field in Twilight Princess, Forest Haven in Wind Waker etc. Hopefully these pros are able to iron out any remaining bugs and get compatibility parity with OpenGL soon.
(12-18-2016, 11:38 PM)DaRkL3AD3R Wrote: [ -> ]It's a magic bullet for certain performance hog situations. Metroid Prime map screen, Hyrule field in Twilight Princess, Forest Haven in Wind Waker etc. Hopefully these pros are able to iron out any remaining bugs and get compatibility parity with OpenGL soon.

Yeah, I noticed it made the cutscenes in FE Radiant Dawn play without pausing every few seconds. Either that or something else between t.0 stable and the current builds did.
Vulkan is pretty much the best thing to happen for me. Before it was released, I had major texture glitches in D3D11, I had no access to D3D12 (was only using Win7 at the time), and OpenGL was perfectly accurate, but slow, and also crashed at a part in Paper Mario TTYD. Vulkan was faster than OpenGL, had no texture issues, and it no longer crashed in TTYD! (Well, it then started crashing at random later on, but since then, that was fixed.) And now that its new shaders will still work if I upgrade my graphics card soon, Vulkan is pretty much the only option. If it gets any faster, it'll make D3D12 obsolete.
(12-19-2016, 01:27 AM)Probwontusethisaccountagain Wrote: [ -> ]Vulkan is pretty much the best thing to happen for me. Before it was released, I had major texture glitches in D3D11, I had no access to D3D12 (was only using Win7 at the time), and OpenGL was perfectly accurate, but slow, and also crashed at a part in Paper Mario TTYD. Vulkan was faster than OpenGL, had no texture issues, and it no longer crashed in TTYD! (Well, it then started crashing at random later on, but since then, that was fixed.) And now that its new shaders will still work if I upgrade my graphics card soon, Vulkan is pretty much the only option. If it gets any faster, it'll make D3D12 obsolete.

Vulkan wont be obsoleting anything anytime soon as long as it remains crash prone on modern AMD cards(aka the rx400s).
(12-21-2016, 03:40 PM)Blackhearted Wrote: [ -> ]Vulkan wont be obsoleting anything anytime soon as long as it remains crash prone on modern AMD cards(aka the rx400s).

Only because AMD's GPU drivers suck.
Well, I want to kill D3D12 support as soon as it's reasonable to, tbh.

Right now the main graphics devs don't mind it there, although they have no motivation to fix any D3D12 issues that are cropping up because the backend was written in an extremely difficult to maintain fashion. However as soon as the backend becomes a burden to maintain, such as new features being integrated into the other backends that 12 doesn't have, or a code restructuring that D3D12 would get in the way of, they're cool with dropping it.

Vulkan exists. It does what D3D12 does in more places. It lets Linux users with AMD GPUs have good performance. D3D12 does still have a *couple* valid uses in a few edge cases where the GPU isn't supported by Vulkan but is by D3D12. But that won't be a reason to keep it around if it becomes a pain.
i too noticed that vulcan and opengl run better for me than dx11 or 12 so if dx12 did get dropped it wouldnt bother me, i think opengl and vulkan is the way forward in performance for emulators