Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay works fine with 3 ppl but not 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Yinvarn

Hello everyone,

We tried with few friends to setup mario party 6 games with netplay for a few weeks but we had some fps problems. Until today, we couldn't play above 40 fps with 3 people, but we just discovered the whole buffer thing, and then everything works perfectly with a buffer value = 10. But it still below 30 fps with 4 players until we put a huge buffer value (at 200, the game don't even stay constantly at 50 fps...) but we cannot play with 1000+ ms.

Here is some infos :
-We can all run the game in solo at max fps.
-The lagging when we are 4 isn't here because one of us in particular. => Every combination of 3 of us can play at max fps with a buffer value = 10.
-It's Dolphin 5.0
-The host have the most powerful computer, with a i7 and a Nvidia 9xx graphics card
-We tried to play without sound but it only gives us 2-3 fps. At the moment, we're playing with DSP/LLE, 30 latency with OpenAl
-Ours games are sync. (No memory cards, same iso and dolphin version)
-Host's UDP ports are open
-We may not have the exactly same graphics settings

Well, I hope you can help me and I thank you for reading this post.

PS : I'm sorry if it's messy or unclear, english isn't my native language. Don't hesitate to ask me if you don't understand something, or if you just wanna know something.
Dolphin uses more bandwidth with more players; you likely do not have enough bandwidth to handle 4 players.
Also, isn't netplay limited by the weakest system?
yes, but, this sounds like bandwidth to me.
Have you tried with a different person hosting? When I play with 3 or 4 players, I find that it's always very laggy if I'm the host but works better if someone else hosts.

Yinvarn

(12-14-2016, 09:35 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Also, isn't netplay limited by the weakest system?

As I said, we tried first A, B and C guys, and then A, B and D guys and everything is ok, But not A,B, C and D so that's not a power problem.

(12-14-2016, 09:07 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin uses more bandwidth with more players; you likely do not have enough bandwidth to handle 4 players.
(12-14-2016, 10:30 AM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried with a different person hosting? When I play with 3 or 4 players, I find that it's always very laggy if I'm the host but works better if someone else hosts.

Alright, so I guess the person who was hosting for us can't improve his bandwidth ?
I've a far better connection (Download : 83 Mb/s, Upload : 99 Mb/s, Ping : 30-50 ms) so it may work with me but I don't know if the campus connection can allow that (at the moment, no one can join my netplay lobby even if I allowed the frirewall to let Dolphin do). Since it hadn't blocked me on any game or application, I think there is a way...

Do you know if it's possible ?
(12-14-2016, 11:33 PM)Yinvarn Wrote: [ -> ]As I said, we tried first A, B and C guys, and then A, B and D guys and everything is ok, But not A,B, C and D so that's not a power problem.

Alright, so I guess the person who was hosting for us can't improve his bandwidth ?
I've a far better connection (Download : 83 Mb/s, Upload : 99 Mb/s, Ping : 30-50 ms) so it may work with me but I don't know if the campus connection can allow that (at the moment, no one can join my netplay lobby even if I allowed the frirewall to let Dolphin do). Since it hadn't blocked me on any game or application, I think there is a way...

Do you know if it's possible ?
In my case, it does seem like the one with the fastest connection should be host. I would suggest trying to host from traversal and seeing if that works. You need to provide the other players with the room ID if you do that. Even if you can't host, I would still suggest getting one of the other players to host, assuming you haven't already tried that.

Yinvarn

(12-15-2016, 09:22 AM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]In my case, it does seem like the one with the fastest connection should be host. I would suggest trying to host from traversal and seeing if that works. You need to provide the other players with the room ID if you do that. Even if you can't host, I would still suggest getting one of the other players to host, assuming you haven't already tried that.

Oh yes man, it worked fine with this !

We had a 4-man party this night and it was fluid (except for one mingame with a lot of electric balls moving everywhere) with a buffer value = 15, thanks a lot !