Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 to slow on my PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, Im having too much slow downs playing METROID PRIME 2 (also in native resolution, without AA and Aniso Angry ). My PC has an i5 4460, 750Ti and 16GB DDR3. Used with DX12 and DX11 with the same results.

Specifficaly this slow downs occurs with the water and lights effects.

Its this normal? Should I change my cpu for a better one (4690K) ?

Cheers!
Your i5-4460 should do just fine with Metroid Prime 2. The slowdowns you're talking about sound like Dolphin is updating its shader cache. Dolphin tells your GPU to generate a bunch a shaders whenever a new effect needs to be rendered, but it also caches those shaders so it can look them up later. Generating and caching these shaders is known to cause temporary slowdowns. This is all normal btw. There's no way around it in 5.0, though hopefully development revisions will take care of it one day.

For now, the only thing you can do is to play the game with slowdowns. The good news is, the more you play a game, the slowdowns disappear, because Dolphin doesn't need to generate and cache the same shaders. So basically your first hour or so may be slow. Later playthroughs won't be.