Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Custom Textures and Un(Compiling) ISOs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ToolB0x

Hey Dolphin community, quick (or maybe not) question here. I have a game for the Wii that I play on Dolphin a lot, and I use many community made textures that I load with dolphin. Is there any way that instead of using those textures by loading them up in Dolphin, that I can just replace the textures dolphin is replacing automatically within the ISO for a new ISO? I've already extracted plenty ISOs, but when I look at the names of the folders and png'ss / dds's that dolphin loads, and the files that are in the ISO, I am very confused. I am just asking if there is any way (preferably easy-ish) to apply the texture mods directly to the ISO in hopes to make a new ISO. If this is the wrong section my bad, Thanks.
There is no easy way to do this. There generally is some way to replace textures in an ISO, but exactly how it works depends on the game, and it might take a lot of work. Keep in mind that even if you do manage to replace textures in a game, the game or hardware might not be able to handle textures at higher (or significantly higher) resolutions than the originals.
You can extract the disc, look for big data files which are likely textures, guess the texture format, and replace them. But keep in mind that you are not allowed to change the resolution of those custom textures. If you need HD, there is no way an original Wii could handle it, and so also no way how to embedd them in the ISO.

ToolB0x

Alright I understand, I was going to be using it in Dolphin still, just was trying to think of an easier way to load many gigabytes worth of custom textures without having the prefetch them in RAM. Thank you for the responses!