Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 6700k & 1070
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'll soon be getting an i7 6700k and gtx 1070 PC with 16GB of RAM. I know it's overkill for Dolphin, but I'll be using it for other stuff. So, what is the absolute most demanding stuff I can do with it? For example, what are the most demanding games, how much IR/SSAA can I use, what are the most demanding settings (like single core and lle), and whether or not texture pack preloading will be an issue. This is all assuming Dolphin is still running at full speed.
I'd like to use 4x SSAA, but I'm not sure yet if I'll get a 4k monitor, is it feasible to render games in 8k on a 1070?
What can't I do?

Also, sorry if this post sounds a little scatterbrained.
The Last Story, Mario Galaxy, Star Wars RS 3...
(12-05-2016, 08:01 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]The Last Story.

Yeah, I know that's one of the most demanding games, but is it the most demanding and are there others?
Edit: Ah, I see you're editing, I'll read on...
An Intel i5-4430 and an NVidia 960 (NVidia 660 also worked fine prior to my upgrade) works fine enough. These mentioned games (Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story) all run at fullspeed. I just should not overdo it with anti-aliasing. Works fine with texture packs, just make sure you have enough RAM (at least 16 GB or more for the larger packs). Of course, I limit myself to 1080p. For 4K you definitely need better hardware.

I doubt that even a 6700k is strong enough for 4K and max anti-aliasing for Super Mario Galaxy and The Last Story. Emulation is all about the CPU. I don't think the GTX 1070 will make that much of a difference than let's say, a GTX 1060.
(12-05-2016, 08:18 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]An Intel i5-4430 and an NVidia 960 (NVidia 660 also worked fine prior to my upgrade) works fine enough. These mentioned games (Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story) all run at fullspeed. I just should not overdo it with anti-aliasing. Works fine with texture packs, just make sure you have enough RAM (at least 16 GB or more for the larger packs). Of course, I limit myself to 1080p. For 4K you definitely need better hardware.

I doubt that even a 6700k is strong enough for 4K and max anti-aliasing for Super Mario Galaxy and The Last Story. Emulation is all about the CPU. I don't think the GTX 1070 will make that much of a difference than let's say, a GTX 1060.

Yeah, I expected the GPU to not matter much, since it's essentially rendering gamecube graphics at high resolutions. Though, are you sure about 6700k not being enough for 4k? I've heard that it would be fine with light or no AA if the GPU isn't bottlenecking and your settings are optimized. It is a top-end CPU after all.

What do you mean by max anti-aliasing? 4x or 8x SSAA or MSAA? Also how about 1440p?
Huh? IR and AA have nothing to do with CPU in Dolphin. It's all about GPU.
(12-05-2016, 08:46 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh? IR and AA have nothing to do with CPU in Dolphin. It's all about GPU.

That is true, still in emulation you still need a better CPU than you need a better GPU. What I was saying was that a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1070 should not make much of a difference. Both are already powerful CPU cards. As for the CPU, you can never have too powerful. There is more too it than just the IR and AA, such as the emulation itself and texture packs.
You can save your money if you're just making this for Dolphin if you get an i5-6600K. Heck, if you overclocked it a bit, you could save your money on modern games too.
(12-05-2016, 09:36 PM)Probwontusethisaccountagain Wrote: [ -> ]You can save your money if you're just making this for Dolphin if you get an i5-6600K. Heck, if you overclocked it a bit, you could save your money on modern games too.

Yeah, I know, but I'm getting a 6700k for two reasons. First, I'll be doing much more than playing games. I'll be experimenting with CPU intensive stuff, like compression and video encoding, and I might be getting into some light content creation. Second, as you can see in my profile, my current laptop is not very good. It can't run Dolphin period, and can barely keep itself alive to begin with. So I'm overcompensating a bit because I'm sick of the 2009 MacBook Pro with major GPU and minor CPU heating problems.

Anyway, it sounds like a 6700k would be fine for most games at 4K, so what's the limit? Can I run the interpreter and software renderer with LLE on single core in four instances for self-contained netplay? Or do I need some hacks for demanding games like the aforementioned ones? Is it a good idea to just leave all the hacks on and let the gameinis disable ones that break things?
GTX 970 is the bare minimum GPU for 4k. GTX 1070 is as fast as GTX Titan which is definitely overkill for 4k as long as you don't apply the most demanding AA like SSAA
8k is out of the question, obviously
8k = 7680×4320 = 33M
4k = 3840x2160 = 8M
-> 8k is 4times higher than 4k

i7 6700k will run everything at full speed . Hell , you can even run some WiiU games at full speed too
Quote: Can I run the interpreter and software renderer with LLE on single core in four instances for self-contained netplay?
what is the point of doing that ? Afaik , there is no game need software renderer and it don't think it can run well on top of the line PC
Pages: 1 2