Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Typical Performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Edit: I have now run Dolphin 64-bit and have results or the EXACT PC below - The processor is OC'ed to 3.25GHz/core (peaks at 48C under full load), and the GPU is overclocked to 600MHz, but reports that it runs at 680MHz. Read my post on the next page.

Hi, I'm rather new to GC emulation, but what should I expect out of Dolphin? 40FPS most games? My PC is currently in a UPS truck fresh from Newegg:

Win 7 64-bit (when I get it, going to install)
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz (OC to 3.25GHz)
4GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066MHz RAM
785G Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD 4200), 500MHz w/DX10.1
Using the most recent 64-bit build of Dolphin.

Is this decent enough to run things like Zelda: WW, Double Dash, Sunshine, and Melee (60fps?) Thanks for the help.
Without a doubt you should be able to run those games nicely, though i can't opinion-ate on sunshine.
I heard Zelda Tp and WW recently got a burst in speed.
On my minimal machine i run melee full speed & the same for Duble Dash. (Under the Dx plugin)

Nice pc choice btw.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I thought it was a pretty good budget PC =)
I was just really curious because I've had not-so-stellar performance on my old 2.4GHz Pentium 4 (400MHz FSB!!) w/7600GS. Melee and Sunshine both were playable, but at speeds so low it REALLY wasn't worth it. Like 3-5FPS. One more thing, if games run at under 60FPS like 30-40FPS, will it actually slow down emulation or is frame skipping implemented?
frame skipping is implemented.
the only problem you may have is a limited resolution of the games. (maybe too stuttering in high resolutions with 1280+)
you may have problems with resoolutions higher than 800x600 on this integrated graphics card (i used to use a HD3300)
but if you chose the "native resolution" you should be able to play nearly everything fullspeed with sound by now.

in the future i think everything
(10-21-2009, 01:29 PM)a mad pigeon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm rather new to GC emulation, but what should I expect out of Dolphin? 40FPS most games? My PC is currently in a UPS truck fresh from Newegg:

Win 7 64-bit (when I get it, going to install)
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz (OC to 3.25GHz)
4GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066MHz RAM
785G Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD 4200), 500MHz w/DX10.1
Using the most recent 64-bit build of Dolphin.

Is this decent enough to run things like Zelda: WW, Double Dash, Sunshine, and Melee (60fps?) Thanks for the help.

You need a new graphics card, I had the same one and it cant even render the frames fast enough.The max I could get was 40, I bought a radeon hd 5750 and now I get full speed in most games
Guess it should be pretty playable. BTW I looked at some benchmarks using the 785G and it seems about equivalent, in not better than a GeForce 7 series card.
Either way, An upgrade can easily be made in the future & will still keep your build at a budget..
I've seen some really good prices on mediocre cards.
yeah diddy's right. And also I typed that above wrong. I used to get around 45-50 max.
and i normally always got that max
your card is way to slow. you wont be able to play any pc games. Why did you buy this pc ? You dont play pc games ?
Dolphin is not going to give you anywhere near 40 fps.
Your pc is not balanced at all. It has great cpu - athlon 2 is amd's latest pc and it pretty decent. It would not bottleneck even a 4870 card.
And then you go and match it with crap integrated card which is much better fit with your old 2,4 ghz pentium 4 cpu. They are about same in the perfomance.
If I were you,I would put another card in that pc and disable that integrated crap.I understand you probably are on a budget,but even a 80$ gpu will be much faster that what you have now ( 9600 gt or gso,radeon 4650 they all cost around 80$ now and are great budget cards---and are like 5 times faster then 4200 crap Smile
I like his build.
Not everyone can afford a hardcore gaming rig.
An obvious upgrade will be needed. Be sure to get a mainstreem card soon to and high res to your speed.
Pages: 1 2