Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 lags computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

87m

I am experiencing what seems to be an unusual problem that I can't find a fix for. My pc runs really well when I start it up and I can be on for hours without any problems, but if I start up a game on dolphin then the entire system lags. From this point until I restart the computer opening up a web page, configuring dolphin, or just about anything takes minutes and not seconds like it did normally. I tried reinstalling dolphin, I tried deleting every trace of dolphin off the drive and reinstalling and I checked the task manager and I can't find any reason why it should be doing this. Here are my computer specs.

OP: Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: i5-4690K
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 960
HD: 1TB

I'm pretty sure it's an installation problem, but I don't know how I could fix it.
Which video backend are you using?

87m

I've tried using DirectX 11 and 12 as well as OpenGL and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

87m

I take it back, some backends are better than others. It doesn't completely fix the problem though. The one that doesn't seem to give me the biggest problems is OpenGL.
Is it a memory leak (is Dolphin's memory usage always increasing over time)?
What are your Dolphin graphics settings? you could have them set too high

87m

No, there doesn't seem to be a memory leak. I watched the task manager and it isn't always increasing over time. I am pretty sure it's not that my graphics settings is set to high because my computer is slow even when the game isn't running and when dolphin is closed. The problem is that the computer lags until the computer is restarted, not when dolphin is closed. Also sorry about not replying, I didn't get a notification saying I got new replies.

PS: Changing the backend to OpenGL only slows down the computer about 10% and the other ones slow it down about 60-80% so it made a huge difference.