Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Strange Text Issue with Xenoblade Chronicles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

outlawauron

Hi there, I've been playing a solid 15 hours or so into Xenoblade. I stopped playing for while and came back to it encountering this strange text bug. It was like certain characters were being duplicated above and below where they should be. It only got worse as time passed and seemed to reset it every time I reloaded into a new area.

I thought maybe I needed to upgrade Dolphin versions, but that hasn't helped the issue.

I've attached some screenshots of me using the older Dolphin version I was using and the new 5.0 update. Any ideas? I've read that I should change my texture cache, but that's has made any large impact. Happy to get any more screencaps as necessary.

Pictures -> here.
Dolphin doesn't have any texture cache that gets stored to disk. Maybe you mean the shader cache, but regardless, I don't think clearing it will help with this.

The problem looks like a known AMD GPU driver bug. I think there are older versions of the GPU driver that work, and also older versions of Dolphin that work even though the GPU driver has the bug, but I don't remember exactly.
Yeah, it does look similar to that problem:
https://community.amd.com/thread/205864

outlawauron

Wow, that's pretty sad to here. If I had known that, I wouldn't upgraded my drivers at all.

Do we have any idea which versions of the driver work better?

outlawauron

Looking into some more troubleshooting, it seems to be isolated to Direct 3D 11 graphics API. Games ran much worse with Open GL, but I was able to play them without any graphical or text bugs as shown above. Tested both on Xenoblade and Arc Rise Fantasia. Should I be looking at an Nvidia in the future?
It's your choice. Nvidia generally seems slightly more stable. My pc is getting framedrops and tearing on latest driver no matter what so I'm on the next to latest until I will bother clean installing to see if it helps.