Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My graphics card clocks down during emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

V-Rally3

I have a weird problem with Dolphin 5: My Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 card (mobile) clocks down during emulation. This results in low framerates. There is no problem with other applications such as Furmark or Minecraft.

The card does not clock down, when i switch to maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel. But this results in high power consumption.
So every time i want to play gamecube games, i need to switch to maximum performance mode, which is very annoying.

Is there a solution to this problem?
Unfortunately, no. And switching to max perf is the only way.

nvidia's drivers gets really confused with Dolphin's workload because while Dolphin needs a somewhat snappy GPU, it's actual GPU load isn't all that much with a handful of games. nvidia's drivers gets confused at this workload and thinks it can clock down to save power and things will be fine. Unfortunately not. Sad

However, if you set a per program profile for Dolphin, you can have your GPU only go into max perf mode only when Dolphin is running, and thats a good compromise.

V-Rally3

(11-15-2016, 11:44 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, no. And switching to max perf is the only way.

nvidia's drivers gets really confused with Dolphin's workload because while Dolphin needs a somewhat snappy GPU, it's actual GPU load isn't all that much with a handful of games. nvidia's drivers gets confused at this workload and thinks it can clock down to save power and things will be fine. Unfortunately not. Sad

However, if you set a per program profile for Dolphin, you can have your GPU only go into max perf mode only when Dolphin is running, and thats a good compromise.

Thank you, problem solved! I completely forgot, that you can set a per programm profile.

And thank you so much for making Dolphin. Playing Wave Race: Blue Storm and all those other Game Cube gems in 1080p is a blast!