Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Weird Dolphin Framerate Issues? (Project M Netplay)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Goombmin

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find much on this issue (or just simply didn't know the exact criteria to search).

I built a new computer recently, and downloaded the Project M netplay build of Dolphin to play with a couple of friends (Dolphin 5.0-321 PM). The game runs perfectly fine at a solid 60 fps around 70% of the time, but then randomly drops to maybe like 20 fps. The odd thing though, is that the fps counter always shows a constant 60 fps. Another peculiar thing is that my friend on the other end tells me he has perfect fps, and yet there aren't any desyncs between the two of us.

Now, I am aware that latency during netplay can drop the fps, which is solved by upping the input pad buffer in the netplay lobby. It's happened to us a couple of times where we both get the same framerate drop and modifying the input buffer solves it. I do want to stress that the issue I am currently experiencing is completely different, as this even happens offline. It seems random, and I'm not completely sure what triggers it. It does always eventually fix itself, sometimes after a minute or even three, but I can't figure out what causes it. Usually when going to different screens, like going from character select to an actual match will reset it to 60. I know this also shouldn't really have anything to do with stages being too resource intensive, as I've been able to run every stage at a solid 60 fps, and even the framerate will drop on even the most basic ones. I've even checked to see if my graphics card or processor was overheating and they both seem fine.

Would anybody know what the problem would be here? I appreciate the help.

My specs are as followed: Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit, Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 470, Processor: Intel Core i5-6500, RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3
When you say it drops to maybe "20 fps" you mean the game slows down, or the game looks choppy?
Does this happen on other games (any fps counter says 60 but lagging?) This happened with an unstable overclock.

Goombmin

(11-15-2016, 09:13 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]When you say it drops to maybe "20 fps" you mean the game slows down, or the game looks choppy?
Doesn't slow down, just really choppy.

(11-15-2016, 09:16 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]Does this happen on other games (any fps counter says 60 but lagging?) This happened with an unstable overclock.
Just tested it with F-Zero GX. Game runs beautiful and buttery smooth a whole track, then halfway into the other track it's a minor framerate drop with the FPS still reading 60, so similar to the problem I'm having with Smash.

I did happen to take a picture of my Open Hardware Monitor stats when the fps dropped. doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. http://i.imgur.com/BVP73Ry.jpg

Thanks again for the help.
I mean with other games period. Not just dolphin. My old gpu overclock was too high and did that any time it was stressed

Goombmin

(11-15-2016, 12:43 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I mean with other games period. Not just dolphin. My old gpu overclock was too high and did that any time it was stressed

Oh, sorry. Every other game I play runs 100% perfectly fine. It's just a Dolphin issue for some reason.

Goombmin

Just a small bump with some more info.

I am starting to think this is some weird thing that has to do with netplay. I tested this against someone in Texas, and I had a consistent 10 fps the whole time, EXCEPT when the other player wasn't inputting anything. When I was the only one performing inputs, it was running at a silky smooth 60, however when the other player was playing it dropped to a consistently low fps, like around 10. Again, I'm just guessing, because the FPS counter is always reading 60 for some reason. The other player was also not experiencing other issues, as the game was running smooth for him the entire time. I tested this with someone else in the same state, and still had the framerate issues from time to time, but it wasn't constant.

The weird thing about all of these issues is the fact that I'm the only one experiencing them, and not the players on the other end. I'm still running in native resolution and not playing full screen, so I'm still at a bit of a loss here. Thanks.