Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What types of frame rates should I be getting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I just built an emulation computer. It has a core i5 skylake 3400 MHz 8gb ddr4 gtx 1050 ti. I'm trying to just play these games at native resolution, and they run well enough but I keep getting random frame drops or stuttering. I'm using 5.0 x64 on win 7 x64. The emu is using default settings. Thoughts? Is there anything I should specifically do in terms if config? I'm just looking for a vanilla experience and if I can make it look better than native res then great, but unnecessary. I just want to play the games without stutter at their native framerate. Thanks for the help!
Quote:What types of frame rates should I be getting
Full speed on most games as long as you meet these requirements :
_Both CPU and GPU must run at full speed.
Spoiler:
_You should upgrade to Windows 10x64 and use direct3d12 backend cuz it's faster than both OpenGL and Direct3d11. And I rarely see frame drops with dx12 . Vulkan is also an alternative option but it's still not as good as dx12 atm
Im assuming you have an intel core i5 6600K, if you have that processor than it should really be running Dolphin fine without you having to modify any driver settings and at higher resolutions as well. Also running on DX12 does really help in terms of performance.
(11-13-2016, 09:27 PM)nursejoy Wrote: [ -> ]Im assuming you have an intel core i5 6600K, if you have that processor than it should really be running Dolphin fine without you having to modify any driver settings and at higher resolutions as well. Also running on DX12 does really help in terms of performance.

So what I'm hearing you say is that OpenGL is inferior to dx12 and that's why I'm getting frame stutter, and dx12 has better compatibility. Do you know if the dolphinbar and wiiu GameCube adapter are compatible in windows 10? I built a machine that plays every system from nes-wii with mega drive thrown in, using retro arch for everything else.
(11-14-2016, 12:58 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]and dx12 has better compatibility.

No.

(11-14-2016, 12:58 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know if the dolphinbar and wiiu GameCube adapter are compatible in windows 10?

Yes.
(11-14-2016, 01:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Yes.

Ok so will I have worse compatibility or the same with dx12 vs OpenGL? Also this applies to gc as well as wii correct?
(11-14-2016, 01:59 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so will I have worse compatibility or the same with dx12 vs OpenGL?

Usually the same, but there might be exceptions where D3D12 is worse. The D3D12 backend simply isn't as mature as the OpenGL backend.

(11-14-2016, 01:59 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Also this applies to gc as well as wii correct?

Yes.
(11-14-2016, 02:07 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the same, but there might be exceptions where D3D12 is worse. The D3D12 backend simply isn't as mature as the OpenGL backend.

Yes.

Ok so I did the update actually full format to windows 10 and I'm seeing the same behavior but maybe this is what it's supposed to be doing. When running a game sometimes the screen freezes for a split second and the frame rate drops, then it catches right back up and won't do it again ever in that same spot. Does that make any sense? An example would be loading Mario kart wii when you load Luigi circuit when it pans the track before you start it freezes and drops the frame rate and then immediately catches back up. Mario sunshine also does the same type of thing. Is there something I'm missing? It seems like once it loads that section of the game one time even if I turn it off and back on again it won't ever jitter in the same spot. Thanks to everyone who is responding to this post. This community and most of the emulation community in general are fantastic people. One this is running smoothly I'll be donating to the project just as I have to the other emulation projects that I deal with. A lot of people don't understand how important game preservation is im glad there are people who do!
(11-14-2016, 04:03 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I did the update actually full format to windows 10 and I'm seeing the same behavior but maybe this is what it's supposed to be doing. When running a game sometimes the screen freezes for a split second and the frame rate drops, then it catches right back up and won't do it again ever in that same spot. Does that make any sense? An example would be loading Mario kart wii when you load Luigi circuit when it pans the track before you start it freezes and drops the frame rate and then immediately catches back up. Mario sunshine also does the same type of thing. Is there something I'm missing? It seems like once it loads that section of the game one time even if I turn it off and back on again it won't ever jitter in the same spot.

Dolphin does that in general. It happens because of shader compilation. Dolphin stores all shaders that already have been compiled to a cache, so each graphical effect (shader) will only cause stuttering once (until you change Dolphin version, GPU or GPU driver).

(11-14-2016, 04:03 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]One this is running smoothly I'll be donating to the project just as I have to the other emulation projects that I deal with.

We're not accepting donations.
(11-14-2016, 05:10 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin does that in general. It happens because of shader compilation. Dolphin stores all shaders that already have been compiled to a cache, so each graphical effect (shader) will only cause stuttering once (until you change Dolphin version, GPU or GPU driver).

We're not accepting donations.

I've found that it is the shader issue as I've been researching more, where can I get dolphin with the ubershader compiled into it?
Pages: 1 2