Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Change location of texture packs to another drive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys!

Just wanted to check if it's possible to change the location of the texture packs to another drive, I'm running low on disk space since I only have a 120 GB SSD as my main drive.
This can change the whole dolphin emulator folder https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t..._Directory
(11-07-2016, 09:49 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]This can change the whole dolphin emulator folder https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t..._Directory

Thanks!
Although this looks to be solved, I will also comment that for even more freedom, you can use symbolic hardlinks (junctions).
(11-09-2016, 07:29 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Although this looks to be solved, I will also comment that for even more freedom, you can use symbolic hardlinks (junctions).

You should probably add that to the wiki
(11-09-2016, 07:53 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]You should probably add that to the wiki

Symlinks can be a pretty easy way to mess up your system. Everyone that knows about them is already using them all the time (and wouldn't need the advice). I don't think we should be recommending the use of symlinks on the offiical wiki page. This will most likely just confuse most users.

That's just my two cents though.
(11-09-2016, 07:29 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Although this looks to be solved, I will also comment that for even more freedom, you can use symbolic hardlinks (junctions).

Isn't this a contradiction? There are symbolic links (what Windows would call a "Shortcut") and there are hard links, but they're separate things. A symbolic link allows you to have a folder Y that's inside folder X also appear inside folder Z, even though it isn't really there, and clicking the symbolic link inside C:\Z \ directs you to C:\X\Y\. A hard link allows you to refer to the same data on the disk by multiple filenames, so changing the contents of one file automatically changes the contents of the other file, because they are really the same file at the same physical location on the disk (as opposed to having a copy of the file, in which case you have two instances of the same data stored separately on the disk, so you can modify the original file and the copy independently).