Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Have the requirements gone up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

belegdol

Hello,

it's been a really long time since I last used dolphin (3.0 or thereabouts I believe). Have the requirements gone up since? I am asking since I am almost sure I could reach playable speeds in Resident Evil Zero back in the day when my laptop was still sporting a 485M, but now, with 680M, I am only getting 11 FPS/23 VPS in the initial train section. My CPU is a 2720 QM and the laptop has 12 GB of RAM.
I am wondering if it's a configuration/build issue, or have the requirements increased with time. Thanks!

[edited]
I should have mentioned that this is under Fedora 24 x86_64. Looks like either Linux is underperforming or it is a indeed a build/config issue, as I am getting solid 30FPS/60VPS in the same section under Windows 10. The difference is even more pronounced in Rogue Leader, in which I am getting 60 FPS under Windows but only 5 or so under Linux.
Linux might be using your integrated gpu?

belegdol

(10-31-2016, 02:47 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]Linux might be using your integrated gpu?

On this laptop the iGPU is not wired so it cannot be this.
On the other hand, I have noticed that windows uses OpenGL 4.5.0 while Linux uses 4.0.0, despite both having latest nvidia binary drivers installed.
glxinfo sees 4.5.0 too:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL\ version\ string
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.57
Quote:On this laptop the iGPU is not wired so it cannot be this.
what do you mean by saying that ? Afaik , there is no way you can disable iGPU on a laptop. That is how Nvidia mobile GPU works (Nvidia Optimus)
If a discrete card was always on , your laptop wouldn't even last 30 minutes
There are some rare top of the line gaming laptops that have a switch to turn on and off iGPU , most laptops don't have such an option like that
On Windows, you can force a program to run with either iGPU or discrete GPU via Nvidia Control Panel . I don't think you can find it on Linux though
btw, you can try other backend like Vulkan
With a NVIDIA GPU, Linux and Windows performance should be very similar, if not the same with the proprietary driver.

Since both glxinfo and Dolphin seem to be using your dedicated GPU, I'm not sure what's wrong… does the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 environment variable help?
(10-31-2016, 03:56 AM)belegdol Wrote: [ -> ]On the other hand, I have noticed that windows uses OpenGL 4.5.0 while Linux uses 4.0.0,

Known "issue". nvidia returns the version string we've asked for. On windows, we ask for a compatible context, so we just get the newest. On linux, we ask for a 4.0 forward-compatible core context, but the string is just 4.0.

But this has no impact on the performance. We still use all extensions Wink

belegdol

(10-31-2016, 04:25 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]what do you mean by saying that ? Afaik , there is no way you can disable iGPU on a laptop. That is how Nvidia mobile GPU works (Nvidia Optimus)
If a discrete card was always on , your laptop  wouldn't even last 30 minutes
There are some rare top of the line gaming laptops that have a switch to turn on and off iGPU , most laptops don't have such an option like that
On Windows, you can force a program to run with either iGPU or discrete GPU via Nvidia Control Panel . I don't think you can find it on Linux though
btw, you can try other backend like Vulkan
My laptop is quite old, one of the last ones without Optimus - Clevo P150HM
(10-31-2016, 07:18 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]With a NVIDIA GPU, Linux and Windows performance should be very similar, if not the same with the proprietary driver.

Since both glxinfo and Dolphin seem to be using your dedicated GPU, I'm not sure what's wrong… does the __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 environment variable help?
It does not: I tried

Code:
$ __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 dolphin-emu
as well as

Code:
$ LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 dolphin-emu

(10-31-2016, 09:23 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Known "issue". nvidia returns the version string we've asked for. On windows, we ask for a compatible context, so we just get the newest. On linux, we ask for a 4.0 forward-compatible core context, but the string is just 4.0.

But this has no impact on the performance. We still use all extensions Wink
Ah, too bad, otherwise it could have been easy.