Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Memory Card issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

saby61903

Hello everyone, I am having trouble with my memory cards and need help restoring my save files. I currently use dolphin 5.0 and i do not use save states, only saves to the memory card. When I first started playing my games, i would get messages saying my memory cards needed to be formatted and this happened a few times with several games; animal crossing for GC, kirbys airride, super mario strikers, etc.. then it stopped. The memory cards acted fine for awhile, i could play the games and save normally so i had a lot of save files. Then when i was progressing in animal crossing, there were two cases where i received a weird message: one; I used a 251 memory card in slot b along with the default card in slot a. i did this to create travel data for animal crossing. Two;  I needed to borrow my sisters memory card to access her town. So she sent it to me and i put the card in slot b. In both cases under the configure, gamecube tab to change memory cards, the message i got was: "do you want to use the same file in both slots?" Once that happened i got the corrupted memory card message and the game would tell me to format it or the data wasnt there at all! When i look in memory card manager i see all of my save data in both my usa and european card files. I've tried switching memory cards around and nothing ive done works, I also dont know how the gci stuff works. Any help would be appreciated!
I would start with backupping the dolphin emulator folder or the gc folder. The first time you switch to gci folder *should* add your saves, but you might have to format it and then extract memory card files there.

saby61903

(10-28-2016, 09:36 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I would start with backupping the dolphin emulator folder or the gc folder. The first time you switch to gci folder *should* add your saves, but you might have to format it and then extract memory card files there.

can you tell me how to do that step by step? i dont know how to do all of that.
Open file explorer, go to documents, create a folder called dolphin backups. IN that create a folder like month day year. Go back to your documents and copy dolphin emulator and paste it into the date folder.
When it finishes open dolphin and hit config, gamecube change all memory cards to gci folder. If no saves are transferred use tools, memory card manager to convert to gci.