Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extracting audio from .pak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm trying to extract the audio files from Rocket Power Beach Bandits, a GC game.  Inside the iso, there's a few small tpl files, and a data.pak file that I'm very sure contains textures, audio, etc.  Once I extracted it, I've tried using Dragon Unpacker and using the Hyperipper, but all it extracts are a few odd .bmps and 4 .wav files, which aren't music, just some odd dripping noises.  If anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated, and if you need any other information, feel free to ask.  Thanks.
Bump from the grave
Resolved using QuickBMS to unpack the archive, God bless the creator. Mods can close thread now xx
Interesting.
How's the quality of the uncompressed sounds? Are the sounds seems to be the same or are they noisy or distorted?

I tried very hard the similar things some time ago, but no success. I actually uncompressed thev 2 big data files from the iso, but all I really get was many smaller .dat files Smile
Oddly enough, each track had two respective files, left and right. Using Audacity I combined the left and right track into one stereo file, then exported as a single mp3 and it's very refined. What surprised me is that even though the left and right files had a combined size of 4MB, once I converted them into .wav they were about 13MB in total, which produced higher quality sound.
WAV is a pretty hefty file; you could use it in-game, but when you have hundreds of sounds playing at once, it's going to drag your procesor down. I would go with whatever the studio used, or if you have the option, check out APE. APE gives you 512kBps+ in a smaller file than a WAV, so if you can, go with that.

As for .PAK, check out GTAForums and the old-school GTA3 / VC / SA community. I think they have a tool called ".PAK EXTRACTER" that does exactly what you're looking for, and it should be able to re-builld the .PAK if necessary.
No I already figured out how to extract em, I took the wavs and combined them to export an mp3 for my own listening pleasure.

d1ddle

(06-03-2018, 09:09 AM)Aetherius Wrote: [ -> ]No I already figured out how to extract em, I took the wavs and combined them to export an mp3 for my own listening pleasure.

Probly a bit late, but it is probable you still have the bms script that you used to extract the PAKs? Would it be possible to upload it?
Many Thanks! 
(03-13-2022, 07:30 AM)d1ddle Wrote: [ -> ]Probly a bit late, but it is probable you still have the bms script that you used to extract the PAKs? Would it be possible to upload it?
Many Thanks! 

Hopefully six months isn't too late for ya, but yeah I found it here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm