Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin (Gamecube) Debugging Kit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

saint64

Hi, not sure where to post this info, but I saw on another forum that these were for sale.
http://gamedealdaily.com/product/nintend...ebug-unit/
It's a debugging kit for the Nintendo Gamecube, back when it was still going by its codename, Dolphin. The description says that these were formerly owned by Acclaim, which I think is no longer in business.

I'm not sure if these machines would be helpful to people who are developing code for the Dolphin emulator, but wanted to pass along the info
I'm pretty sure that the agreement between Nintendo and Acclaim says that the hardware and software cannot be sold to a third party without Nintendo's consent, so it would be illegal to use the official SDK without Nintendo's permission. Since the developers work very hard to keep Dolphin above board, they can't incorporate anything from the SDK into Dolphin's code.
Says "Out of Stock" so I'm pretty sure nothing can be gained now anyway (it's not like dev/debugging units are floating all over the place).

@Aleron Ives - Acclaim Entertainment is dead (has been for a decade+). This dev unit was probably liquidation or was picked up by someone on the way out. Pretty sure once a company ceases to exist, anyone in possession of that dev unit is not bound by any agreements Nintendo and Acclaim made, unless you're part of a contract that survived Acclaim's demise.

At any rate, standard copyright and intellectual property laws still apply no matter what, so yes, using the SDK without Nintendo's permission to incorporate into Dolphin is a very big no-no. Also, where's the challenge in using an SDK? Tongue

saint64

ah oh well. When I saw it there was like 23 in stock.
I thought maybe something could be gleaned from it, not a 1-1 copy of anything, but since theres no more in stock I guess we'll never know
Why is everyone talking about the SDK? All I can see at that website is devkit hardware.