Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: framerate drop laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi depending on the game the framerate drop is consistent. Im on the latest dev build. I have tried everything all the backends from vulkan to dx 12 and have tried everything settings from the vanilla settings of dolphin to 4x IR. For example, in punchout wii it drops to 59 and back to 60 for I kid you not every second. Its not cache issue as I have also tried the ishiiruka build and same issue occured. I have set my gpu to max performance and my overall laptop power to high performance. Thing is I have a custom built pc with i5 6600k and R9 380 (4GB) and there seems to be no issue. Another example is Mario tennis during the cutscence it just drop randomly, Donkey Kong country drops to 58-59 randomly and even the wiiware haunted house game. Maybe its impossible to maintain constant 30 or 60 Fps for laptops?
You have to check async shaders in ishiiruka btw. IDK what else to try though.
(10-20-2016, 09:31 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]You have to check async shaders in ishiiruka btw. IDK what else to try though.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did even compile shaders before the launching of the game is ticked, still havent solved anything
i7 4710HQ @ 2.5GHz is nowhere near as fast as your desktop i5 6600k (3.7->3.9GHz stock speed )
Emulation is all about CPU power . you must force it to run at 3.4GHz or higher speed if you want to run most games at full speed
Be careful with the temp, though. If you push it too hard , it may break...
(10-20-2016, 11:33 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]i7 4710HQ @ 2.5GHz is nowhere near as fast as your desktop i5 6600k (3.7->3.9GHz stock speed )  
Emulation is all about CPU power . you must force it to run at 3.4GHz or higher speed  if you want to run most games at full speed
Be careful with the temp, though. If you push it too hard , it may break...

So its impossible to run any game on a constant FPS with the i7 4710HQ? even with the most basic settings?
You could try Thottlestop to stabilize CPU speed . The maximum multiplier you can set is 35 (35x 100 = 3500MHz ~ 3.5GHz)
or just bite the bullet and use Intel XTU to overclock your CPU to somewhere around 3.6->3.7GHz
In theory , it should be safe if the CPU temps (full load under stress test) sit around 85C or lower
Spoiler:
Edit : Also , the more you play , the less stuttering you will get .
(10-20-2016, 11:54 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You could try Thottlestop to stabilize CPU speed . The maximum multiplier you can set is 35 (35x 100 = 3500MHz ~ 3.5GHz)
or just bite the bullet and use Intel XTU to overclock your CPU to somewhere around 3.6->3.7GHz
In theory , it should be safe if the CPU temps (full load under stress test) sit around 85C or lower
Spoiler:
Edit : Also , the more you play , the less stuttering you will get .
Thanks for the reply. So its safe on a laptop to set it up on 3.5 Ghz? never use throttlestop before so I set the profile for dolphin and it will be underclocked back on default right? cause I fear my CPU will be at a constant 3.5
There is a "Power Save" option , just enable it , your CPU will run at maximum speed when a software requires that much power. Otherwise , the CPU speed will be dropped down to 1GHz
Make sure to click on "turn on" and "save" options to apply your settings
(10-21-2016, 12:56 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]There is a "Power Save" option , just enable it , your CPU will run at maximum speed when a software requires that much power. Otherwise , the CPU speed will be dropped down to 1GHz
Make sure to click on "turn on" and "save" options to apply your settings

Thanks. How do you actually set the multiplier mine says 37t max I cant move up beyond that
That's your maximum single core speed when overclock but throttlestop doesn't have ability to overclock . That 37T is just for show , it will never reach that speed unless you use Intel XTU to overclock (unlock additional 200MHz)
According to notebookcheck , 3.5GHz is your maximum speed
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...084.0.html
You must do some stress test to make sure your CPU is stable enough .
You should run Dolphin for 30mins and check the CPU temp .
Btw, my 6 years old Acer laptop is still working as I keep the temp under 80C
Pages: 1 2