Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tales of Symphonia Dolphin 4.0 FPS drop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

LostSamurai

My specs:
Acer Aspire 5742
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Intel® Core ™ i3 CPU M370
2.40 GHZ

4.00 GB (3.68 usable)

Intel HD Graphics (No number)

I've tried all versions of Dolphin to get Tales of Symphonia to run as smooth as possible but FPS keeps dropping from 60-50-40-30 etc.

Is my computer simply not good enough?
I've tried to tweak Dolphin's settings so much it's getting annoying.

Help?
My laptop had a slightly better cpu and barely anything ran anything fullspeed in 4.0. Why not use 5.0?

LostSamurai

5.0 only has OpenGl and Direct3D11, right? My computer only supports OpenGl 2.1 so it crashes when I use it (which I hear works best with 5.0) It runs the game with Direct3D but I noticed Dolphin runs better with Direct9 on my computer which 5.0 doesn't have.

Do you guys recommend any specific settings for Dolphin on my computer? Other than get a better computer? Lol. My graphics driver is updated to the latest version I think (version 8.10.15.2993) or something like that.
Quote:Is my computer simply not good enough?
Yes, it's very weak.

You have an outdated and slow CPU. And it's a mobile processor in a laptop that probably wasn't built for intensive tasks. And a very weak integrated GPU, which won't help you at all since Dolphin became faster but needs a semi-decent GPU.

If it doesn't run at full speed with the default settings, you need a better PC.
(10-17-2016, 04:23 AM)LostSamurai Wrote: [ -> ]4.00 GB (3.68 usable)
AFAIK the 64 bit version of dolphin was faster, also in the 4.0 days. So if you want to reinstall windows, you can try the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit one.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/

LostSamurai

Crap...

OK...so...a couple noob questions:
1.) Is there any possible way to improve the CPU/GPU?
2.) Is it possible to use a different graphics driver other than Intel, maybe perhaps AMD for better emulation?
3.) Or is there absolutely nothing that can be done?
1) No
2) No
3) Yes, nothing can be done. Just save yourself time (and/or trouble) and upgrade your hardware if you want full speed.
You can upgrade CPU/GPU if you have a desktop . Most laptops are practically impossible to upgrade
Quote:Is it possible to use a different graphics driver other than Intel, maybe perhaps AMD for better emulation?
A graphic driver is a sth like a program that is written for a specific hardware to run properly . You can't install a different driver on a different hardware
You will need a gaming desktop or gaming laptop if you want to run most games at playable speed :
The recommended mobile CPU is Core i7 4700MQ or similar CPUs (Core i5 6300HQ - the only true quad core mobile i5 , Core i7 6700HQ)
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
The cheapest laptop that can run most games at full speed is Dell 7559 (i5 6300HQ + GTX 960M) which costs around 800 bucks .
Though if you only play light-weight games like Tales of Symphonia , NSMB , Zelda WW.... then a cheap 500 bucks Acer Aspire E15 (i5 6200U + GT 940MX) will do, I think