Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: IOS58 and IOS249 not available.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
  Well, I've gotten the Homebrew Channel v1.0.1 up and running properly on System Menu 2.2u (193E), I have yet to attempt to update. Here is the problem: It launches the channel fine, and a fairly large selection of homebrew launches through it fine. Everything loads off of the Virtual SD card as intended and with the exception of trying to load other HB loaders through HBC I've encountered relatively few errors, one of which however is quite a large issue.

I cannot get homebrew apps that load data from USB/SD to work properly (i.e. FCEUX GX claims that my IOS is fake-signed, yet can still find/load ROMs, yet the FCEUX GX channel installer claims that I do not have IOS58 and quits. Also attempting to run USB Loader GX returns a similar error, on launching it claims it could not find a valid cIOS, and that I require something between IOS245-255 for it to work properly. Plus the Homebrew Channel itself is claiming I'm using IOS39

Is there a fix for this? Is it possible to use IOS58 in Dolphin, or alternatively use IOS249 in it's place? Confused
We don't emulate starlet in a low level way, so you can't overwrite its firmware.
(10-13-2016, 11:02 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]We don't emulate starlet in a low level way, so you can't overwrite its firmware.

I am aware of this. Rather my confusion is the fact that the System Menu and homebrew run on Dolphin, even when run from the HBC inside of the System Menu all recognize some form of IOS running on the "Wii", again more specifically IOS9, IOS36 or IOS39, and in some applications that require IOS58 it is detected, however in others that require it it is not. This is odd to me, especially given that to my knowledge of Dolphin it will report any IOS needed by games/apps is present and official (essentially spoofing the IOSes existence) followed by emulating the *functions* specifically of the IOSes needed by the software, as it is needed. If this is the case, why is it that some software, homebrew or otherwise, seems to be detecting the lack of said IOSes, and others that require the same detect their existence. Finally, why do two pieces of software which expects the same IOS report the existence of different IOSes? (A fake-singed IOS58 by FCEUGX/Snes9x/VBAGX channel installers, a copy of IOS9 by USB Loader GX when Audio is set to DSP HLE, and IOS220 when set to DSP LLE, and finally IOS36 by the Homebrew Channel 1.0.1, and IOS48 by PostLoader).
(10-14-2016, 04:44 PM)tiadefum Wrote: [ -> ]  I am aware of this. Rather my confusion is the fact that the System Menu and homebrew run on Dolphin, even when run from the HBC inside of the System Menu all recognize some form of IOS running on the "Wii", again more specifically IOS9, IOS36 or IOS39, and in some applications that require IOS58 it is detected, however in others that require it it is not. This is odd to me, especially given that to my knowledge of Dolphin it will report any IOS needed by games/apps is present and official (essentially spoofing the IOSes existence) followed by emulating the *functions* specifically of the IOSes needed by the software, as it is needed. If this is the case, why is it that some software, homebrew or otherwise, seems to be detecting the lack of said IOSes, and others that require the same detect their existence. Finally, why do two pieces of software which expects the same IOS report the existence of different IOSes? (A fake-singed IOS58 by FCEUGX/Snes9x/VBAGX channel installers, a copy of IOS9 by USB Loader GX when Audio is set to DSP HLE, and IOS220 when set to DSP LLE, and finally IOS36 by the Homebrew Channel 1.0.1, and IOS48 by PostLoader).

I think you're overestimating the quality of Dolphin's IOS HLE. I don't know exactly why it works like you describe, but Dolphin does not emulate the specific IOS functionality/version that emulated software requires.
Quote: I am aware of this. Rather my confusion is the fact that the System Menu and homebrew run on Dolphin, even when run from the HBC inside of the System Menu all recognize some form of IOS running on the "Wii"
Because Dolphin HLEs IOS, or a lot of things would be downright broken.

Quote:This is odd to me, especially given that to my knowledge of Dolphin it will report any IOS needed by games/apps is present and official (essentially spoofing the IOSes existence) followed by emulating the *functions* specifically of the IOSes needed by the software, as it is needed.
That's not correct. Dolphin doesn't emulate a particular version of IOS, but a "mix" of all of them.

Quote:If this is the case, why is it that some software, homebrew or otherwise, seems to be detecting the lack of said IOSes, and others that require the same detect their existence.
This is directly because of the above. Dolphin doesn't emulate the behaviour from specific versions from IOS, bugs or missing/added functionality.

Quote:Finally, why do two pieces of software which expects the same IOS report the existence of different IOSes?
Simply because their checks are different?

JosJuice is right, Dolphin's IOS HLE would need a significant change to implement IOS "versioning" and only expose functionality that is in the expected IOS version. Dolphin currently does none of that, which is not an issue for official games, but sometimes is with homebrew.
(10-15-2016, 03:04 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Because Dolphin HLEs IOS, or a lot of things would be downright broken.

That's not correct. Dolphin doesn't emulate a particular version of IOS, but a "mix" of all of them.

This is directly because of the above. Dolphin doesn't emulate the behaviour from specific versions from IOS, bugs or missing/added functionality.

Simply because their checks are different?

JosJuice is right, Dolphin's IOS HLE would need a significant change to implement IOS "versioning" and only expose functionality that is in the expected IOS version. Dolphin currently does none of that, which is not an issue for official games, but sometimes is with homebrew.

Well, thank you for the explanation, it would seem I had several misconceptions about the way Dolphin worked internally. The reason for my asking about this topic was I had been hoping to build some Dolphin specific homebrew, and was curious as to how it works compared to the Wii's IOS, which is evidently quite different, and I will likely require some time studying Dolphin's inner workings and preforming a substantial amount of trial and error before I can proceed. Thanks again.

BTW, I am still curious as to one more thing: what exactly prevents newer versions of the HBC from running on Dolphin? I have been able to run up to version 1.0.1 on it, though it seem incapable of initializing the network (keeping in mind that the rest of the System Menu can use networking fine, Internet Channel, Mii Channel, WiiConnect24, Connectivity test in settings etc.) which in and of itself is strange, but I digress, the point is that this stops me from being able to update via the network, and obviously the HackMii installers simply won't boot in Dolphin. So what exactly is it that stops newer versions from being run?

(And on that topic, I have searched and searched continually yet it seems that on the entire internet there is no HBC .wads available anywhere. Please forgive me if this is considered breaking forum rules; simply let me know and I will immediately edit it out, but seeing as it isn't Nintendo copyrighted software, rather freeware it seems as though it should be fine: if anyone out there is running the HBC 1.1.0+ on their Wii, would you mind dumping the .wad and providing it to me? I left my Wii with my father at his house when I moved out years ago, and I don't have any recent NAND dumps to extract the post-installed HBC from. Again I am not asking for thee whole NAND dump, nor any part of Nintendo's proprietary software. I realize that is a legal issue, and do not condone pirating. Rather my NAND dump contains a much older version of the HBC and seeing as I do not have physical access to my old Wii at the time of writing, nor any way to update the channel directly it would be extremely helpful if someone had the .wad, and only the .wad for a newer version of the HBC that I could use, that I could hopefully use to help get newer versions of it working on Dolphin. P.S. the decrypted contents of the HBC .wad would also work, so long as its "title" directory structure is still in-tact that it can be directly dropped into Dolphin's virtual NAND.)
(10-15-2016, 06:47 AM)tiadefum Wrote: [ -> ]And on that topic, I have searched and searched continually yet it seems that on the entire internet there is no HBC .wads available anywhere. Please forgive me if this is considered breaking forum rules; simply let me know and I will immediately edit it out, but seeing as it isn't Nintendo copyrighted software, rather freeware it seems as though it should be fine: if anyone out there is running the HBC 1.1.0+ on their Wii, would you mind dumping the .wad and providing it to me?

No, that's not how it works. That something doesn't cost any money doesn't mean that the authors of the software have given you the right to do whatever you want with it. The download page of the HackMii installer does in fact say that you aren't allowed to redistribute it. So you won't get any HBC WADs here, but I don't think you'll get in any trouble for asking whether this is allowed.
A HBC wad wouldn't work, and that's why you can't find one. It has built-in checks to see how it was installed and refuses to work(or at least work properly?) if you did not use the official installer.

Dolphin should emulate all IOS slots. I thought if the running software says: "please start IOS x", Dolphin waits a few moments and then reports: "there, now IOS x is running", without actually loading that IOS or even checking if it exists. So in theory, if an usb loader wants to load IOS249, it should say that it's using IOS249, but that doesn't mean anything. Well, i guess this still isn't right, because it doesn't match what is happening for you. But if software actually checks if the IOS exists, before loading it, you need to have it on your nand, even if it's not actually used.
@JosJuice I am aware that because it is free does not mean it can inherently be redistributed, however I misunderstood the HBC's license model, and was under the impression that it was literally freeware, as in can be redistributed and modified. Thanks for the clarification, I suppose I will have to wait until I can get access to my old Wii to make a new dump.

@mimimi I have yet to attempt to take the encrypted and unpacked versions of the IOSes and place them in the title folder of my virtual NAND, your phrasing gave me this idea, and I will try doing this and report back with what happens.

UPDATE: Ya. ... It didn't do anything Tongue
This is just curiosity--do we want to emulate the Wii system internals/IOSes/etc. at a lower level at some point, or would it completely unavoidably murder performance and is thus not planned?
Pages: 1 2