Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 runs great but why....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While playing Wii Mario Kart on 5.0 (in 2x native 720p cause it slows down to 30fps at 1080), Dolphin plays great but the MLB game that I am streaming starts to stutter.   I thought my specs would have been more than enough and when both are on the Task Manager says only 21% of CPU and 19% of RAM is being used for both.  

It also gives me lip on some games when I try to play at 3x Native in 1080p with nothing else on.

Is there a way to dedicate CPU and RAM only to Dolphin so it will leave the rest of the video or other programs  alone?  

And why no 3X Native 1080p with some games with nothing else running?  Seems I got power and RAM to burn.  Could it be the GT730?

Thanks y’all---I'm just wanting to make sure the hardware is sufficient. If so I call say "It's definately a settings issue" and move on to investigate a settings solution.

(Dell 8900) Windows 10x64
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.40GHZ
Nvidia GeForce GT 730
Crucial 24GB
Dolphin 5.0
If you are using single core you should have 25%/12.5% (I don't remember if you divide by cores (4) or threads (8)). Dual core should be 50%/25%.
(10-09-2016, 02:02 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's both. We've improved the overall CPU performance a lot, while we decreased the GPU performance for higher accuracy. While common game systems still have enough GPU power to run the higher load at 4k, we think it's fine.

The next part is unrelated.

We also fixed a "bug" which just wasted lots of CPU power in the GPU thread while waiting for the CPU thread. This fix doesn't improve the performance (neither decrease it), but it reduces the power consumtion. Bad luck, in the task manager, dolphin now usually shows only half of the CPU utiliaztion.

So, now to your issue.

Dolphin runs a bit slower now because of your weak GPU performance. You think it's a bug not using all of the available CPU power (as the taskmanager shows it). But in fact, it's just a combination of both illustrated effects.

Theoretical problem.

We're most of the time emulating the CPU, sometimes the GPU. Both may run in parallel, but they very often don't. One emulation task can't (read: impossible) be split up to many threads. So please tweak your task manager to show your the CPU time of the dolphin process normalized to *one* core, not to all cores. This will be a bit more than 100%, so there are no more ressources to use.

Also stutters can be caused by compiling shaders which will slow the game for a split second.
(10-12-2016, 10:30 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using single core you should have 25%/12.5% (I don't remember if you divide by cores (4) or threads (8)). Dual core should be 50%/25%.

It divides by threads. Dual core should be up to 25%, but also at least 12.5%. Depends on the game.
Thanks for the replies.  I went into my task manager and found the performance tab so that was nice.  (I just jumped from macs and IT fixes the PCs at work.)  It’ll be a while before I can mess with the cores or change the clocking like I’ve seen people talk about doing with those fps games.  

I realized if I want to play power hungry wii games like Kart and stream TV at the same time I can just turn Dolphin down to 1.5 Native.  It’s still a better resolution than the wii I put in the closet a couple weeks ago.

If there is a better guide than the wiki and the guide in FAQs, could someone post the link because I would really like to read up on the config and graphics stuff.   Thanks again.  Glad to be here.
GT 730 (kepler) is a horrible card for the money. Due to extremely poor memory bandwidth (either 14.4 - 64bit version or 28.8GB/sec - 128bit version ), it can't run game at high resolution. Hell, it can't even beat your integrated GPU : HD 530
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvi...82vsm33102
A $100 low-mid range card like GTX 750ti (maxwell) has 86.4 GB/sec memory bandwidth...You can't go lower than that
(10-13-2016, 09:40 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]GT 730 (kepler) is a horrible card for the money. Due to extremely poor memory bandwidth (either 14.4 - 64bit version or 28.8GB/sec - 128bit version ), it can't run game at high resolution. Hell, it can't even beat your integrated GPU : HD 530
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvi...82vsm33102
A $100 low-mid range card like GTX 750ti (maxwell) has 86.4 GB/sec memory bandwidth...You can't go lower than that

So if I buy a GeForce GTX 950 all the Dolphin problems I wrote about should be fixed?  It seems reasonably priced online.
Yup, Mario Kart Wii demands a good GPU but you may want to wait a little bit for the new GTX 1050 'cuz it will be a lot faster and it will be released at the end of this month
GTX 1050 should cost around 100->$130
(10-13-2016, 11:14 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, Mario Kart Wii demands a good GPU but you may want to wait a little bit for the new GTX 1050 'cuz it will be a lot faster and it will be released at the end of this month
GTX 1050 should cost around 100->$130

That's the plan then!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 1050gtx ti as well. I'm guessing it'll run better than my 660gtx and require less juice.
Replace that GPU, it is terrible for the cash you pay.