Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Could bloom offset be "fixed" in the future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if the bloom offset artifact that affects lots of games like Mario Kart Wii, the Metroid Prime games, etc., when running at increased internal rendering resolution, is something that could potentially be made to look as originally intended by some creative hack.  
There is no bug. You're just seeing what the EFB copies look like at a higher resolution.
There may be game specific AR or Gecko codes you can find on the wiki to fix issues for various games.

The alternative is 1x internal res and gratuitous SSAA, but that still doesn't look all that good.
I realize the issue is a side effect of running the game at resolutions for which it wasn't intended, not a bug. This is why I typed "fix" in quotation marks and was thinking in terms of a hack that would make it look like proper bloom at high resolutions.

The Gecko codes I've seen to address this for a few games, usually just turn off the bloom effect. This is probably better than the ghosting artifact but I wonder if the original bloom effect could be achieved in some other way. It looks pretty cool in the original console.
Can you show a comparison?

My guess would bet that in order to kinda solve it, one could render the game twice, once without bloom, and once without anything but the bloom.
Then Software scale the bloom and add it to the other.
I'll post a picture showing Dolphin's output later tonight to show you the problem but I don't have a good way to capture the real output from my Wii to show how the effect should look like. I'll take a picture also running at the game's native IR and hope that is close enough to what the Wii's original output was.

The bloom effect is quite noticeable on the real Wii, especially on MKW. Yo can see a softened, "dreamy" kind of look on objects far from the camera which is completely lost on dolphin when running at high IR. But then again, who doesn't want to render the game in 1080p+?!