Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Poor Perfromance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

onoitzphil

Hey I just got Dolphin set up on my PC and some games run fine now problem, but other more demanding games the performance suffer greatly. The frame rates drop, the audio crackles and stutters. SMG, Zelda, Metroid, etc. My specs are, Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 ghz , ATI radeon hd 5770 6 GB ram.
Well , you can't run those demanding games with that i7. You will need to upgrade your CPU
1st gen Core I series @ 4.5GHz (Nehalem) is only as fast as 6th gen Core I series @ 3.0GHz (Skylake) in Dolphin
Core counts don't matter much since Dolphin is a dual core application
To run most Wii/GC games at full speed , I think you will need a skylake CPU @ 3.0->3.7GHz
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/?nocr=t...ould-i-use

onoitzphil

(10-11-2016, 12:33 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Well , you can't run those  demanding games with that i7. You will need to upgrade your CPU
1st gen Core I series @ 4.5GHz (Nehalem) is only as fast as 6th gen Core I series @ 3.0GHz (Skylake) in Dolphin
Core counts don't matter much since Dolphin is a dual core application  
To run most  Wii/GC games at full speed , I think you will need a skylake CPU  @ 3.0->3.7GHz
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/?nocr=t...ould-i-use

Thanks for the response.  That PC with those specs is my HTPC.  I have another PC at my desk which has a AMD FX 8300 @ 3.3 ghz, 14 GB RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 260.  I know my Desktop PC is more up to date hardware wise but do you think it would be a significant increase in performance compared to my HTCP set up?  I am trying to weigh out if it's worth swapping the guts of both boxes.  Thanks again
That FX 8300 is definitely not better , may be worse ...

Dolphin FAQ Wrote:Which CPU should I use?
Dolphin is a dual core application that relies upon IPC (Instructions Per Clock) for performance. Additional cores will not make Dolphin go any faster, though an "extra" core that Dolphin isn’t using may help slightly by keeping background tasks from using the same cores as Dolphin.

•Intel: Newer Core i5 and i7 processors such as the i5-4670K and i5-3570K are extremely fast and very affordable considering their relative power. The K series allows for overclocking, which can further improve the performance of those CPUs. Core i7 variants yield almost no benefit in IPC over the i5s they are based on, so save the cash if you’re building a Dolphin machine. For laptops, you can rely on the i7-4700MQ and i7-4930MX for the absolute best performance. Most games will run very well on any of those processors.

•AMD: Due to very low IPC, AMD CPUs are poor choices for Dolphin. The FX8000 line of processors is the best they have, and even then most of those processors will be around half the speed of the 4670K’s performance with Dolphin.
You can overclock i7 to 3.6GHz to get more FPS for free but then again , it's still not fast enough for some demanding games

onoitzphil

(10-11-2016, 01:24 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]That FX 8300 is definitely not better , may be worse ...

You can overclock i7 to 3.6GHz to get more FPS for free but then again , it's still not fast enough for some demanding games

Thanks again.  How up to date is the benchmark spread sheet?  Considering the HTPC box will just be used for emulation and movies/TV I might want to upgrade the CPU and swap my radeon for my GTX 260. 
You can't . The Official Benchmark is pretty much dead , no one want to update it and only @Delroth has the authority to do that ...
There is a newer Benchmark here , you can update it anytime you want