Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Crashing with RX480 and Vulkan Backend - Still Out of Luck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, it's been a little while since I checked on Dolphin's progress and I come back to find another progress report and the Vulkan backend implemented.  I was excited to try it out since I thought it might work where DX12 was crashing on my RX 480.  Unfortunately, using the Vulkan backend appears to be crashing dolphin in all of the same scenarios as using the DX12 backend.  Is anyone looking into what's going on between dolphin and the 480 driver, or are myself and other rx480 users going to be out of luck and stuck with DX11 for a long while?

Specs:
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.4 GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 2400 Mhz
Radeon RX 480
Windows 10 Pro x64

Dolphin 5.0 - 805
None of the graphics people that I'm aware of has a 480, so probably not. Maybe somebody submitted a bug report to AMD. Not sure.

Anyways, why do you need to use D3D12 or Vulkan anyways? Your hardware is more than powerful enough to run everything at full speed in HD resolutions, and then some in D3D11.
Can you post the driver version that you are using? Does updating your gpu driver fix this? Does downgrading fix this?

I did downgrade my driver to 16.6.2, because my Radeon HD7790 has issues in DX11 with 16.7.3 and 16.9.1.

Can you provide more information about your crash? The developer behind this needs all the information he can get, otherwise he can't fix this.

Edit: Does it work with the build from:
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/4270
https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-4270-d...est-x64.7z
It works for me on Linux using my rx470. Are you sure you've install the correct driver along with the LunarG sdk?
I'm not sure the LunarG SDK is required unless you're trying to compile Dolphin.

AMD should be shipping everything required, right?

Anyways, did that build end up working for you?
(10-04-2016, 07:02 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure the LunarG SDK is required unless you're trying to compile Dolphin.

AMD should be shipping everything required, right?

Anyways, did that build end up working for you?

It's definitely seems to be required. Anything vulkan will just refuse to work if it's not installed on my machine. Including non-dolphin vulkan demos, and AMD makes a note of needing it on the amdgpu-pro driver page. https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article...Notes.aspx

Maybe windows is different though?
Yeah. I'm talking about Windows. OP specifies Windows 10.
I'd like to say this seems to affect Polaris based cards in general and not just the 480. I have a Radeon rx 470 and just like with DX12, vulkan does little more than crash constantly(and take the driver down with it). It doesn't matter what driver or dolphin version i try. The results are always the same. The only thing that changed with vulkan compared to dx12 is the crashing might happen at different points in the same games. DX11 and Opengl work fine, btw.

As for my system:
Core i5 2500k @4.3ghz
12GB ddr3-1600
Asus Radeon RX 470 4GB
Windows 10 pro x64