Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Issues with graphics plugins (Vulkan and DX11)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read yesterday that the Vulkan backend was merged into the master branch, downloaded the newest build (5.0-753), and went to town!

...only instead of any graphics I just got a black screen in both FS and windowed mode. In windowed mode it flickered a couple of times.

I actually have the same problem with DX11, but when I try to use that it renders Dolphin helpless and I have to use the task manager to close it.

My CPU is an Intel i6600k running at 4.1GHz and I have a GTX 950 graphics card, so I don't think compatibility is the issue, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with either or both of these plugins? Does anyone know a way to get past the black screen?

In case it matters, I normally run games with the DX12 plugin.
If you think that's a bug, feel free to report it on the bug tracker.

By the way, there's not much difference between OpenGL and Vulkan for NVIDIA GPUs. Unlike games, there's not a lot that can be improved by using a newer API, especially when OpenGL is already very fast and optimised in NVIDIA's proprietary drivers. I'd suggest just sticking to OpenGL for the moment if you have an issue with Vulkan.

edit: to clarify, I'm saying that if you notice a bug, you should report it on https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org so that it can get fixed, which really helps for new backends. But in the meantime, you can fall back to OpenGL which won't be much slower on NVIDIA.
After I read the September progress report, I think I understand why Vulkan does not work on my machine, but I'm still baffled by the D3D11 failure. I'd report it as a bug if I thought it was a bug, but I'm not sure. A quick google search seems to indicate I'm not the only one who has had the issue crop up, but no one ever posts how they fixed it or if it the problem went away on its own.