Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: It was working last night... what happened?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

randomnumber

Hi all,

I'm a little confused here, I had dolphin working last night, but I get a black screen now, also I do have sound, and can here the game being run...

(I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this, and welcome all comments and thoughts. I would like to say thanks to all the developers for all their hard work, love what you're doing here! I would also like to note that I have some free time and a good system, and I'd like to start getting involved in this project, testing, building and playing...)

I'm new to dolphin, but not to emulation, I do tech support for a living, but just cannot figure out what happened here.

I was able to rip my MarioKart Wii disc into an iso. I updated my gfx card software, downloaded dolphin, configured it, figured out the saved game problem, and I was playing without too many issues for two whole days. Then, out of nowhere it stopped working...

The last two things I did was, I beat mariokart on 50cc, I got excited about being able do run wii on my computer, so I ripped my Super Mario Galaxy disc. I didn't think about it not being able to play without the wiimote and nunchecks, and I hadn't tried to configure that yet, I was using my PC game controller. So I shut down dolphin, and didn't touch it again till this morning, that's when I discovered it was broke.

Did trying to play SMG somehow mess things up?

I was using lannyboys svn build from 3 days ago..

In trying to trouble shoot it, I have now tried all of the latest dolphin builds, I've tried all of the suggested configs, and I get the same results, black screen with sound. Mariokart and SMG are the only games I have to work with...

I,m also running windows 7 64bit, and I tried to get it working with that, but I don't even get a game screen, I click to play the game, and I see the little box that says booting for a second... then nothing, the game doesn't initialize...

I've also even tried to get it working on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit, but couldn't really find any instructions on how to get dolphin working, anyone got any proper instructions on how to do this with ubuntu and ati gfx card?...

I can always go back to playing on my wii, but this is so cool, I wanted to show it off...

my system:

Dell studio XPS
Vista Home Premium 64bit
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Ubuntu 8.10 64bit (err Linux Mint)
Intel Core I7 920
6G ram
ati radeon 4850 512MB (wanting to switch to nvidia)

Any thoughts?

thx

randomnumber
SMG doesn't work well yet. Graphics are messed up even if you get around the black screen so don't bother with it yet. A game can't break the program just because it's not compitable, I have no clue there, you must have messed up the files somehow. Just redownload Dolphin and try again. BTW, they seem to be in the middle of something major right now, so if you wait to later this week the emulator may have improved in stability when they've finished what they're doing right now.

randomnumber

(04-07-2009, 08:50 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]SMG doesn't work well yet. Graphics are messed up even if you get around the black screen so don't bother with it yet. A game can't break the program just because it's not compitable, I have no clue there, you must have messed up the files somehow. Just redownload Dolphin and try again. BTW, they seem to be in the middle of something major right now, so if you wait to later this week the emulator may have improved in stability when they've finished what they're doing right now.

Thanks for the quick reply...

What I'm really confused about is that MarioKart was working good, thats the one I get the black screen with now. I've downloaded the latest version of dolphin, and all I get is the black screen... hmmm. I'm wondering if I have some weird graphics card issue, although, I'm still able to play PC games with no problems...

Thanks anyway
Check to see is you have ztp bloom hack checked in the graphics config. If you do, try unchecking it. I had a similar problem with another game, but unchecking it helps. If it isn't checked, also try checking it.

randomnumber

(04-07-2009, 09:06 AM)Terranigma Freak Wrote: [ -> ]Check to see is you have ztp bloom hack checked in the graphics config. If you do, try unchecking it. I had a similar problem with another game, but unchecking it helps. If it isn't checked, also try checking it.

checked or unchecked, still no love, thanks for your reply...
Black screens could be different things.
1st, it could be the graphics settings (or card), but if it worked earlier I doubt it's the graphics unless you changed something.
2nd, it could be the game iso, I might have gotten corrupt or something like that, but that is most unlikely.
3rd option could be your save games, but they only get loaded when the game has started already so I think that isn't the problem.
And last option I could think of is your sound or gamepad setup. But if that worked and hasn't changed, this can't be it.

Just thinking here. Make sure you check all these things. My guess would be the graphics first. Try playing windowed on a lower resolution, might help.

Hope you find a solution.
People are having issues when playing without fullscreen , try not to play in the main window ,that could be the key !

randomnumber

(04-07-2009, 11:53 PM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]People are having issues when playing without fullscreen , try not to play in the main window ,that could be the key !

Thanks for all the reply's, still working on it, I'll post the solution if I figure it out...