Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Direct X vs OpenGL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Which is better?
I have access to DX12 and works fine but i have not tried others.

Is there any reason to use anything else?
Whichever performs best for you?
What API do nvidia users usually use?
DX12 if you GPU supports it and you have no problems, OpenGL othewise.
Neither, use the Software Renderer /s

In all honesty, leolam's response is the correct one. Which ever one is fastest and has the least issues is the one you should use. You won't know until you try it for yourself. Us Linux users don't have to make such a hard decision though Big Grin
I would use openGL if it and d3d11 didn't have a vsync issue on more demanding games like metroid prime trilogy where the framerate would half itself half the time.
i also have problems using opengl with F-Zero GX. Every 10 seconds or so i get frame drops from 60 to 50-45 and then 60 again. Doesn't matter what happens on screen, even if i stay somewhere staring at a wall, the frame rate drops in a fixed time.

Luan Roberto Nunes

I've noticed a solid performance increase going from Dolphin 4 to 5.
I had some audio glitching on Mario Kart Wii, now i'dont have any. sure DX12 helped a lot.
Would love ti try dx12, but NHL 2k11 crashes right before I get to the actual gameplay from menus.
It matters what you have avaliable, and what you want to use.

Somewhat related, I just started using Linux for playing games in dolphin and I seem to be having much better luck with stuttering with it and keeping full speed when I amp up my graphics settings compared to windows. So, not only does it depend on your hardware, but your OS too. Tongue
Pages: 1 2