Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hmmm i think i should get better fps.. =/
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(04-08-2009, 07:49 AM)Janx Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2009, 01:01 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-07-2009, 07:15 PM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Note: Quad not good for Dolphin (Uses only 2 cores)

Hope the guy wont change his Proc for Dolphin only , lol !

xD! Yes... i don't want it just for dolphin xD!!

Here i used that program:
[Image: cpuv.png]

Not sure why everyone is saying its clocked high, it's 3.2GHZ +10.4 MHz... or the 3.2GHz you said it was. You've got ok ram speed, DDR2-667 I would guess, but the processor itself is a bit dated when you consider that the combined processing power of a gamecube (with the audio and graphics processor) would be on par with at least one core of your processor (a lot of it gets offloaded to the video card, but best case for emulation is usually about 1/4th potential processing speed, less doing powerpc on intel).

Without changing your CPU, the most I could say would boost your speed anything is using a 64 bit OS, with a 64 bit Dolphin. The boost would be small, as 64 bit isn't as well optimized as it could potentially be (but this could change in the future). Pentium D's support 64 bit, so it's another little thing that can be done.
What are you guys talking about 3.2 ghz pD is not clocked high, I had a p4 prescott that was at 4.2 ghz on air. Came to me at 3.6ghz. Dumped that processor though, qx6700 @ 3.85 owns that shiz.
(04-07-2009, 07:15 PM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Note: Quad not good for Dolphin (Uses only 2 cores)

I wouldn't say that Quad Core isnt "Good" for dolphin... it works perfectly fine, just because it only uses 2 out of the 4 cores,
doesnt say that quad core isnt "good" for dolphin.

All this means is that you can do things in the background while playing!

*cough* don't diss what you dont have!
OK so it came out a little wrong... it's not negative for Dolphin to have 4 cores instead of just 2 of course... but to have just 2 with the same power as those 4 would be better. Maybe it's more expensive, I don't know.
hmmm, memory speed is important for dolphin??

Could u guys tell me an good processor?
If i change processor, i need to change the motherboard too?

Dolphin isn't finished yet, so... u think in it's final version, either with my specs, i would be able to run fullspeed?

Sorry bad inglish!! *if something is wrong xD*
Thxx!
(04-09-2009, 02:39 AM)Janx Wrote: [ -> ]hmmm, memory speed is important for dolphin??

Could u guys tell me an good processor?
If i change processor, i need to change the motherboard too?

Dolphin isn't finished yet, so... u think in it's final version, either with my specs, i would be able to run fullspeed?

Sorry bad inglish!! *if something is wrong xD*
Thxx!

Very unlikely possibility your rig will be fullspeed in the final version (here's a dirty for example - Project64, which is using far simpler emulated hardware at 93 MHz still needs at least a p3-700 to run smoothly, which is about 7 to 1 emulation speed.... carry this over to the gamecube, deduct technology marks on the P4 processor (MHz for MHz, a P3 is faster)... you would need about a 4GHz P4 to do it)

It will vary from game to game, since some games use the CPU more, where others use the graphics more, so your mileage will vary with the above statement, the only way to really tell is to try.

IF.... you are daring enough, and assuming you got pocket change for a newer processor if anything goes wrong, Pentium D's can be overclocked. You'll need a good cooling system, but I have heard 3.8GHz can be gotten out of them.... big risk, but you might look around the net for people who have done it for a how to. I run a 2.4GHz processor at 3GHz, and it's as stable as it gets
pentium d's are pieces of garbage. It's the equivalent to two pentium 4s. Use cpu-z. It provides more complete information. You might need to change your motherboard if it's old enough because of vrm differences.
Pages: 1 2