Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 RX480 DX12 Backend Crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have done some digging around the support and hardware sub-forums, I have seen similar mentions of people having issues running Dolphin and the RX480, but no mention of any real resolutions thus far.  That said, the card has been out for a couple months now and maybe someone has some good input.

I very recently got a new RX 480.  Over the past few days, I have put it through its paces with games like Doom (2016), Rise of the Tomb Raider, and a slew of others.  The card is operating fine and my system is stable.  So today, I finally made the rounds back to Dolphin and hit some issues.

As of now, I've tested four different games running on the current dev build 5.0-600 with the DX12 Backend on Windows 10 Pro:

Xenoblade Chronicles - Reaches the main menu, but crashes the video driver and dolphin when trying to load a file or start a new game, mid loading screen.

The Last Story - Loads my current file fine, and seems to run, but has more stuttering than normal.  Try to run around in Lazulis City and within ten seconds, the video driver and dolphin crash.

Mario Galaxy 2 - Seems to run fine without crashing.  However, when loading a file from the main screen, in the last few moments before the screen transitions and loads the file, there is visible texture corruption of the wiimote pointer and file box.

PSO E1+2 Plus - Seems to run fine.

All of these issues go away as soon as I switch the backend to DX11.  I am currently using the latest Crimson Driver (16.9.1) for my RX480, and the driver was a fresh install.  I also cleared Dolphin's cache folder after switching video cards.  Before the RX480, I was running an R9 380x and had no issues with the DX12 Backend.

So, any thoughts, or anyone else using an RX480 and getting similar issues, or perhaps no issues?
From what we can gather, Dolphin is doing something in DirectX12 that the 480 drivers don't like. Dolphin uses DirectX and OpenGL functions that a lot of games don't normally use
Sigh, I'm guessing it will be a while then before it gets fixed, whether by AMD deciding to randomly change how some things work in newer drivers, or anyone on the Dolphin team being able to actually take a look at what's going on. This is one of the times I wish I had the coding expertise to look into this stuff, but I don't sadly. On the bright side, at least DX11 still works properly, and maybe the Vulkan backend will if/when it finally gets merged into the main branch.