Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How I can use Direct3D9 for dolphin-x64-5.0 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
please I want to improve the version of 5.0 to be like version 3.5 of dolphin ? Huh

I want to use Graphic Direct3D9 ! Angel

and use Audio Backend Dsound ! Angel

because my PC is week and this setting working perfect for it ! Sleepy
You can't use Direct3D 9 in 5.0.
(09-14-2016, 02:24 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You can't use Direct3D 9 in 5.0.

why ? how I can use it any help ? Confused
You can't use DirectX 9 period with Dolphin 5.0, and honestly said you don't want to use it either. DirectX 9 is horrible outdated and fundamentally flawed. If you can not use Dolphin 5.0 because of lacking hardware power, then I would simply suggest not to bother with Dolphin. You are not going to have an enjoyable experience with such low specs and outdated version. You should really upgrade your hardware and you should update to 5.0 before attempting to use Dolphin again (anything lower than 5.0 is not supported anymore).

Sorry if it sounded blunt, but that is the reality. Emulation is not the same as playing your native PC games. Keep in mind that you are not emulating a game, but the entire console itself. This takes power, a lot. You could always stick to N64 or GBA emulation which is a lot lighter to run.
Dolphin has made incredible strides in performance and accuracy over the past few years, and most of that is because of dropping legacy systems like D3D9 and 32-bit support. They lack critical functionality necessary to emulate the GC and Wii, which made Dolphin have to work ten times as hard hacking around and doing dumb things to try to maintain accuracy and speed. By simply removing those two options, development was WAY easier, and Dolphin became more accurate, and faster!

Oh, another thing!

*waves her magic moderator wand*

Moved to Support!
It's been removed years ago to keep us sane.

You'll have to use 4.0.2 if you want directx 9. But also know if you use 4.0.2 we won't help you if you have issues with that version. It's no longer supported.
Your logic isn't going to help the user. I can't either, but, I'll try to meet halfway.

Yes, D3D9 was nice for people with lower hardware. Dolphin's job as an emulator is to emulate the GameCube and Wii. D3D9 cannot do what we need it to do for emulation in the modern environment. If your hardware can't handle D3D11/12/OpenGL3, then it's simply not supported. I know that's not the nicest thing, but, in the long term it's important for Dolphin to move forward.
in my opinion, an actual answer would be better. sometimes people want to know the last version when a certain feature was working. it doesn't mean they don't have a computer fast enough or they won't have a fun experience... in my case, I wanted to play new super Mario bros wii in 3d. dolphin's native side by side rendering does not render anything in cutscenes or in game in 3d, only the world map--which is pointless. here is how I got 3d working on this game

- had to find the latest working version of dolphin with directx9 (dx11 doesn't work the same way with tridef)
- it's here. https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/DX9-Final/
- had to use tridef (version 7.0 in my case, but earlier versions worked with dolphin's dx9 for this same effect)
- set up a tridef ignition profile with dolphin 4.0-157 utilizing a "generic" profile
- be sure the game is running in power3d mode and not normal s3d (alt+shift+v)

at this point, if you're running 1080p or 1440p or w/e you may notice that the "fake 3d" power3d effect doesn't line up with the rendered image. just today, after searching and searching for the latest dx9 version, I finally figured out a trick to fix this. I set my internal resolution in dolphin to 2x (1280x1056). I then created a custom resolution in the NVidia control panel to match this resolution, 1280x1056 (also make sure that scaling is set to no scaling/gpu/override in 'adjust desktop size and position' in NVidia control panel, AFTER you have already switched to this custom resolution). here is where the magic happens. booted up tridef, ran dx9 version @ 2x on this custom resolution, but the depth was still shifted D: then I figured out how to fix it. configure the tridef profile in game settings with hotkeys, while the game is running, and change power3d settings from aggressive to ultra aggressive and everything snaps into place. (if none of that made sense, you need to learn tridef). at this point the image looks good in 3d but small on my 3dtv, so I then use scaling features on my tv to make it fullscreen ^~^b

now new super Mario bros wii runs in 3d in cutscenes, world map, levels, etc.

and it's a fine experience on my 8 core computer with dolphin having practically perfected this game by version 4.0-157 (as far as I can tell. no complaints so far. and dx9 is in fact the only way to run this in 3d, till further notice).

so please just give the answer the person asks, you don't know why they're asking the question or how someone else might utilize the answer. sure, a disclaimer that it might not run how they want, and an explanation for why it was removed to progress dolphin, great (though not an answer). but criticizing people's weak computers and saying they won't have fun with that or just don't use the emulator at all??? (are you kidding me) is not the answer. the answer is version 4.0-157. it would have saved me about an hour today sifting through old versions. people might need it for an actual reason. posting this for a few reasons. 1.) in the hopes that we have a more accomidating community 2.) perhaps development could proceed to make it easier to configure dolphin with tridef or maybe you implement some fake 3d (ie something like tridef's 'power 3d' / NVidia's 'compatibility mode' I think is similar) in order to get games like this looking good in 3d. 3.) maybe someone else wants to play this game in 3d right now, and this is the only possible way. thanks for all the awesome work!

p.s. I fully understand why directx9, 12, etc has been removed. you want something that can in no way malfunction with most users. but in my opinion nothing should ever be removed. I have the last working versions of these saved for various reasons maybe just tuck them away in an 'advanced user / obsolete API' section with a warning not to use them--just an idea
(07-02-2017, 01:40 AM)Mateja Wrote: [ -> ]sometimes people want to know the last version when a certain feature was working. it doesn't mean they don't have a computer fast enough or they won't have a fun experience...

Yes, that's true for some people, but the poster of this topic didn't ask for the last version with Direct3D support and did have a slow computer. Please don't derail this topic with discussion about an unrelated problem. You were free to open a thread of your own asking for the last version if you wanted to.

(Besides, Helios did recommend 4.0.2, which should be better to use than 4.0-157 since it contains important backported fixes.)
(07-02-2017, 01:40 AM)Mateja Wrote: [ -> ]in my opinion, an actual answer would be better. sometimes people want to know the last version when a certain feature was working. 

1. Don't necrobump threads.

2. I gave you an answer. 4.0.2

3. the actual version it was dropped isn't as useful as 4.0.2

Quote:but in my opinion nothing should ever be removed. I have the last working versions of these saved for various reasons maybe just tuck them away in an 'advanced user / obsolete API' section with a warning not to use them--just an idea

This has been suggested a lot. We have done this in the past. Users will still use it. Users will not read. Users will complain anyways. I honestly could not care less if Intel users have to run at native resolution instead of 2x if it means we give users less options to trip over.

Additionally, it simplifies video code and makes adding features easier. Maintaining a million backends sucks.
Pages: 1 2