Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What does setting a non-multiple-of-native resolution affect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do non-multiple-of-native resolution cause? It seems the better choice, if not for mentioned "issues", especially on really low-end computers, as you get the best real-estate for resolution and there is no artifacting caused by downscaling if you can't afford AA. Sure this doesn't matter much for gigantic gaming rigs, but I'm just curious why.
Some games have minor graphical bugs from not using multiple of native resolutions...
(09-13-2016, 12:46 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Some games have minor graphical bugs from not using multiple of native resolutions...

Ok, so it's all graphical. What examples are there or what do the glitches look like? Why exactly don't games like non-integer resolutions? Is it just that they were written and optimized for a specific resolution? I've noticed the same kind of thing with other emulators, such as DeSmuME 4x native, so is it a general emulation issue? How exactly is it done to begin with? And on a side note, ignoring cost, would it be possible to create brand new hardware capable of running these games in higher resolutions like Dolphin?

(Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious)
(09-13-2016, 01:37 PM)Mrnoname1000 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so it's all graphical. What examples are there or what do the glitches look like? Why exactly don't games like non-integer resolutions? Is it just that they were written and optimized for a specific resolution? I've noticed the same kind of thing with other emulators, such as DeSmuME 4x native, so is it a general emulation issue? How exactly is it done to begin with? And on a side note, ignoring cost, would it be possible to create brand new hardware capable of running these games in higher resolutions like Dolphin?

(Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious)

I'd say integer scaling is more of an image quality thing in general. Take a nice, say, 120x120 pixel image and scale it both ways with a non-integer number and you'll see why.

You'll have to explain that last question.
(09-14-2016, 10:17 AM)TehGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say integer scaling is more of an image quality thing in general. Take a nice, say, 120x120 pixel image and scale it both ways with a non-integer number and you'll see why.

You'll have to explain that last question.

But I thought that it wasn't really scaling, it was re-rendering in a new resolution, so it didn't matter. That's also why I asked how it's done to begin with. It's 3D rendering, so it should be able to render at any resolution, providing that it can be rasterized correctly.

Rephrasing the last question, if we had enough money, could we fabricate brand new chips that run Wii and Gamecube at higher resolutions, just like Dolphin? I assume it would just be a change of the architecture and RAM amounts, so it wouldn't be as hard as building from the ground up. Theoretically it would be even better than Dolphin because you don't have to muck around with emulation and approximations.
The games assume things. Even if you had a super high res Wii, it'd still run into some of the same bugs as dolphin if it was rendering at resolutions the games didn't expect.
Quote:I assume it would just be a change of the architecture and RAM amounts, so it wouldn't be as hard as building from the ground up

If you're Nintendo and have access to the hardware documentation, sure. Otherwise, it would be just as complicated as writing Dolphin from scratch.